Gal's Pumpkin Pie

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
Here is my recipe for pumpkin pie. This started out as an accident when I forgot to get evaporated milk at the store. All I had was Half & Half, so I substituted it. The result is a light and silky custard texture that will spoil you for any other pumpkin pie. This is basically the Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe with my substitution of the Half & Half. You can easily use your own recipe and just substitute Half & Half, ounce for ounce for the evaportated or condensed milk in your recipe.

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
Source: Libby's Pumpkin

Makes 8 servings

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1-3/4 cups (15-ounce can) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
1-1/2 cups (12 fluid-ounces) Half & Half

Preheat oven to 425*F.

Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in Half & Half. Pour into pie shell.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350*F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)

For 2 shallow pies, substitute two 9-inch (2-cup volume) pie shells. Bake in preheated 425*F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350*F; bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until pies test done.

NOTE: If using metal or foil pan(s), bake on preheated heavy-duty baking sheet(s). 1-3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves, however, the taste will be slightly different. For lower fat/calorie pie, substitute Nestle Carnation Lowfat Evaporated or Fat Free Evaporated Milk.

For high altitude baking (6,000 feet): Deep-dish pie- extend second bake time to 55 to 60 minutes. Shallow pies- no change needed.

SKILL LEVEL: Easy

Reprinted by permission of Libby's Pumpkin. All rights reserved.

Back