We butchered yesterday (beef) (lots of images)

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
We butchered Saturday three beef with a small group of friends. None of these beef are mine; my family is helping so we get help for our beef. These beef were larger than normal and had better marbling in part because the cows were three years old. The farmer (& family) is part of the group. It took a bit over 8 hours and cleanup mostly done by 4 p.m.

While this is not what I think of as charcuterie, I feel it does pertain to the art. Images have been down-sized to about 75k ea.

Overview of operation: The stainless table is used for packaging the beef and the cut table is made of polyethylene (3/4" cutting board material). Most of the equipment came from a butcher shop that went out of business. We do raise the tables up a bit higher to make it easier to work.
a0overview.jpg

Walk in cooler, beef hung for two weeks.
walkincooler2.jpg

Cut Table (5 images)
cut table
cuttableallmostdonewithahalf.jpg

trimming the hind quarter
trimminghindquarterbeforesaw.jpg

bone in strip steaks. Every one chooses exactly how they want their beef done. This family wanted filets trimmed and bone in ny strip steaks.
Boneinstripsfiletremoved.jpg

front quarter
firstcutfrontquartera.jpg

first cut front quarter
Firstcutfrontquarterb.jpg

Packing Table
hamburger is processed in about 25 lb lots
Burgerreadytopackage.jpg

everyone chooses how much fat to add and where the fat is from
burgerreadytopackage2.jpg

Grinder, Tenderizer
lots of help
helper.jpg
<br>
grinding burger
GrindingBurgerbiggrinder.jpg

tenderizer
Tenderizer2.jpg

Big and Beautiful
dino ribs (that guy in the center is 6'-4" & 300+ - the ribs make him look small)
Bigfrontquarter.jpg

The steaks were beautiful. You can't get fresher than this.
beautiful.jpg

Each half beef (these cows were larger than normal) provided 5-6 25 lb buckets of hamburger and a couple coolers of steaks and roasts. Lunch (hamburgers) was delicious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Munson:
Big and Beautiful dino ribs
Bigfrontquarter.jpg

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>YABBA DABBA DOO!

Gee, you folks are serious. That was quite the party. Smart move to cooperate like that on the purchase and butchering.

These cows were "special". Last year at butcher time they were not "big enough" so the farmer kept them another year. Like adding 50% more to the cost of raising the cow. Cows are normally sold at the moment the 'cheap' growth stops. I think the extra year really added to the marbling of the steaks.

Dang Dave that looks like a good time all in all.......not so much in this area although i am having some people out in the country complain that the small processor is becoming history. Love that part of the country too.....went to school over in McComb.

Cheers and thanks for the pics....awesome!

Nice looking meat!!!

I would buy a Ranch Kettle just to do those ribs whole!!

This is the only way to get real quality meat. I grew up on a farm and we slaughtered and processed our own. I have 2 friends who want to get together and do this with both cows and hogs.

Back