How to clean my cast iron grate (Weber Q200)?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I bought a Weber brass bristle cleaning brush and it knocks off 80% of the grilled residue. I'm still left with hard spots of "baked on" black stuff and sludge down between the grate bars. Should I use something more aggressive? I don't want to prematurely wear away the porcelain coating. Should I put it in my dishwasher? Maybe I should keep a special pan set aside to soak it and wash it?

On a related topic, my brass brush has quickly become all gunked up. I have lots of grease and residue jammed up in the bristles. Any advice to clean this out?

Thanks!

For me, a high heat burn off and a brush down with a stiff brass brush is all I've ever done with my PCI grates. I feel sure that will make it "food safe" clean, but some have little tolerence for any residue on the grill. I would be hesitant to immerse the grate or use too much wet soapy cleaning for fear I would get water into some crack in the coating and thus accelerate the rusting process.

As for brushes, the best I've found is the triangular Weber brass brush. It comes in 2 lengths and i like the long one because of the leverage you can apply. Also, I always had a problem with the residue clumping up of the brushes, but not with this one. Saw them at HD yesterday for around $10.

Paul

For that real stubborn stuff, I've had success using a west washcloth wrapped around the grill cleaning brush. Get the grill as hot as you can and then scrub with the wrapped brush being careful of the steam. The instant steam seems to get "pop" that stubborn stuff right off.

I was told of another method which I have not tried. Place a piece of foil, shiny side down on the grill covering the grate completly, let it burn on high for 10 or 15 mins and it is suppsed to clean it very well.
Hope that helps,
Brett

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brett Craver:
I was told of another method which I have not tried. Place a piece of foil, shiny side down on the grill covering the grate completly, let it burn on high for 10 or 15 mins and it is suppsed to clean it very well.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read about this method a few weeks ago on this site. I tried it, and it worked beautifully. When it's done, you'll find most of your grill covered with a light grey ash. I went over it with a shop-vac and then wiped down the grates. Just like an oven-clean cycle.

The foil trick works a treat for cleaning, the only drawback is that it does not do the edges.

Every so often I put the grill (warm) in the laundry tub and soak it in hot water with a mild detergent. Aftyer about 2 hours I attack it with the Weber triangular brass brush from both sides. this cleans it up real good.
I then put it back on the Q and heat it up for 5-10 minutes and then wipe it with a bit of oil to protect it.

Regards

Back