New thermometer/condensation

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Installed a fixed lid thermometer (Grill Care/Walmart) the other day.

This morning @ 3.30 AM, foggy/rainy 60 degrees outside, while putting my brisket on (therm @ 200),I noticed just a little condensation about the center of the glass on the inside of the thermometer. About an hour later it was gone still not seeing it now at 8 AM. cooking with a full H2o pan.

Question is this normal or do i have a bad thermometer ? Any thoghts ideas appreciated.
Thanks

I once had a thermometer do that to me. I borrowed the thermometer from my Master-Touch to use in the vent of my WSM for smoking. After a few uses, moisture started showing up behind the glass of the thermometer, disappearing once it got up to temp. A few more smokes later, the moisture was so bad I couldn't even read the temp through the water droplets.

I ended up replacing it with two new thermometers: a BQ300 for the WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
and a Weber replacement thermometer for the Master-Touch.

Maybe you'll have better luck,
Kevin

Kevin

My thermometer is brand new I just bought it. Today was the first cook. I thought I could get by with the walmart thermometer for a while. Oh well.

Maybe I sould clean it up, and take it back to Walmart. I should have bought a BQ300, in the first place.

my maverick smoker probe was reading 375 when i had just started the wsm. i made a midnight walmart run and got the same grill care therm that i used in the top vent.it sure saved me that night.i debated on installing it but the hole is larger than the tel tru which is what i really want.

That's normal if you keep your WSM outside. They are not a sealed/air tight unit. My Ashcroft did it and so does my new Tel-Tru. After it heats up, the moisture drys out from behind the glass and all is swell.
icon_wink.gif

I use the Grill Care/WalMart thermos on my drum smokers and I've occasionally had condensation on them. I just used a hair dryer on the glass face and it evaporates.

Thanks guys,

Good to hear it's normal. As indicated it was as damp a day as I could ever cook in, and the smoker is out in the garage, with doors open so you might as well say outside.

Back