New WSM legs

Had some free time today and some scrap 1/8x1-1/8" aluminum flat stock laying around so I figured I'd ,ake some new,stronger and wider legs for my WSM. Much more stable.

Picture585.jpg

Picture586.jpg

Picture587.jpg

I am new to the WSM with less than a dozen cooks under my belt. Is there really a serious problem with the current legs on the WSM? When do you experience a problem? Is it with a particular amount of weight? Or is this mod to give it a larger footprint in the event that you wanted to add a stacker etc?

I didn't have anything to do so I made them and no I don't think there has been to many problems but I did double the size and want to make sure it's safe.
Picture580.jpg

Looking at your last picture, now I can completely understand why you wanted the larger legs. If you filled it to capacity, there would be a lot of weight in there.

Do you find, having the WSM on wheels, that the unit is topheavy and more apt to tip? Did you order the middle section from Weber? If so, was it more expensive than buying a stacker unit? Sorry to throw all these questions at you, but I like the wheel mod and would consider doing it myself. Plus, with family reunions and cooking for larger crowds at work, I have been considering the stacker unit. I usually end up taking 3 OTGs to the event and keeping them all going.

This will be the first time taking the WSM.

Tom I didn't put the wheels on the new legs. I only put them on the old ones for something to do then I made the new legs. I only take the smoker out of the garage and once it's fired never move it. I got the new mid section from Weber. My 1st one was bent some so under the warranty they sent me a new one. Since then I was able to kinda bend the other one back into some kinda shape then I cut the botton 1" off to make them sorta fit together better.I will still have to use an aluminum foil gasket to help seal the slight gap. This has been done before with only a 10 to 15 degree difference in top to bottom temp difference.

Back