Brisket Marinades?

Tim Rahto

TVWBB Member
Does anyone marinade their brisket before putting it in the smoker? I have ran across a couple of different brisket marinade recipes and I am thinking about giving it a try. Anyone have any they'd like to share? If I marinate, should I still apply a rub later on, and if so, how long before cooking should I let it sit?

All recipes and advice are appreciated.

I've never marinaded a brisket. Since marinading is basically for adding flavor, the easier method would be the dry rub IMO. I wouldn't bother with marinading and rubbing.

Paul

Tim,

Many competitive barbecue teams will inject their briskets before smoking. This is done to make the meat more moist and the flavor more intense. I don't think that marinating will have the same effect.

This recipe is from Dr. BBQ, Ray Lampe.

Big Cow Beef Injection

Makes 2 and one-fourth cups

2 cups beef broth
one-fourth cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
one-half teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate before injecting.

I do not often plan to cook brisket much ahead of the day that I cook so do not often marinate. On the occasions I do plan I do sometimes marinate. Typically I make a buttermilk-based marinade (1 qt buttermilk, scant 4 T Morton kosher, flavorings (often) of onion, garlic, fresh bay leaves, peppercorn, dried chile(s) -- all of which get puréed together), and marinate 24-36 hours. Then I pat the excess marinade off the meat, make a complementary rub, and cook.

Back