help w/ rub

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
anyone able to break down any ingredients in the "Texas BBQ Brisket Blend #2" rub? The flavors stand out and hold up well (seems to me anyway) and thought it could give me some ideas for my own. I just can't impress myself yet w/ my own to much, there all good but just sort of not working like I would want them too. I tried but in thinking it had a heavy brown sugar base, I seperated those pieces and they taste different/better. Made me think it wasn't B. sugar. The course white pieces is garlic 98% sure of that, but w/ every piece theres a heavy spicy taste... totally thrown how that could be. I don't even visibly see anything else except maybe the black pepper (if its the course colored black chunks). good rub. thanks.

The biggest thing when trying to clone a rub is getting the grind exactly like the grind used in the rub you are trying to clone. If they are using granulated garlic and onion, along with garlic and onion chips, then that's what you have to use to get the right taste. The #2 Brisket blend is a very course blend, with a good amount of brown sugar, might be sugar in the raw though. Look at the list of ingredients and that will tell you which is more dominant. If brown sugar is first, then that's the ingredient that is used the most in the rub. As the list goes on, there's less and less of that spice used. HTH
Example of Bad Byron's Butt Rub
Ingredients list in order: Salt, Black Pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika, chipotle powder. Now I break it down to 6 ingredients and lets fit them into 1/4 cup. Rember 4 TBS = a 1/4 cup and 3 tsp = 1 TBS. So this is where I would start.
Salt 1.5 TBS
Pepper 1 TBS
Gran onion 2 tsp
gran garlic 1 tsp
paprika 1 tsp
chipotle powder .5 tsp

Back