Vegetable dip

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Anybody have a good recipe to use for making classic creamy vegetable dip? I bought a huge bunch of dill that I am desperately wanting to use.

Erik

Erik,

Here's the recipe I use. I know a lot of people like the "traditional" way of mixing the powder with sour cream, but once they try this they're usually converted.
icon_smile.gif

1.5 C. sour cream
2 T. finely chopped dill
1 t. onion powder
1/2 clove garlic, pulverized to a paste
8 (or more, if you want!) slices cooked bacon, well drained and crumbled)
1 T. butter, softened (but not melted) to mix in
Salt and pepper to taste (watch out, the bacon adds a lot of salt)

Mix it all up, then put in the fridge for a few hours. The fridge thing is actually pretty important...if you make it and then serve it, it doesn't taste as good as when it's chilled. I've tried a few times to carmelize onions first and then add them, but even after letting them drain on paper towels, the oil tends to separate in the dip and looks kind of weird. I usually garnish it with some dill fronds around the edge of the bowl, and maybe a bit of paprika sprinkled on top.

EDIT...that'd be bowl, not bowel. Glad I was the first to catch that little gaff.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
Erik,

Here's the recipe I use. I know a lot of people like the "traditional" way of mixing the powder with sour cream, but once they try this they're usually converted.
icon_smile.gif

1.5 C. sour cream
2 T. finely chopped dill
1 t. onion powder
1/2 clove garlic, pulverized to a paste
8 (or more, if you want!) slices cooked bacon, well drained and crumbled)
1 T. butter, softened (but not melted) to mix in
Salt and pepper to taste (watch out, the bacon adds a lot of salt)

Mix it all up, then put in the fridge for a few hours. The fridge thing is actually pretty important...if you make it and then serve it, it doesn't taste as good as when it's chilled. I've tried a few times to carmelize onions first and then add them, but even after letting them drain on paper towels, the oil tends to separate in the dip and looks kind of weird. I usually garnish it with some dill fronds around the edge of the bowel, and maybe a bit of paprika sprinkled on top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the recipe Phil. What kind of vegetables do you serve with the dip? THe only vegetables that comes to mind are carrots, celery and broccoli.

Erik,

I serve the usual suspects...broccoli, carrots, radishes, and maybe kohlrabi if I can get it. Another way to use it is to cube a loaf of good bread (i.e. sourdough, etc.) then toss the cubes in olive oil and some spices. Bake in the oven until they're brown and crunchy, then serve for dipping with the dip. One of the ways my mom used to do it was to put the dip in a bread bowl, and use the inner part of the bowl as the dipping pieces.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What kind of vegetables do you serve with the dip? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Slices of red, yellow, and green peppers are really good and add color to your serving.
I also have used endive leaves and strips of zucchini.

Ray

HI Phil, I just finished making the dip and will be serving it tomorrow. I tried right after making it and whoa, the dill was overpowering. Does this tone down a bit?

Erik

Erik,

I nearly always use 2 T of dill...chopped...and I've never really thought it overwhelming? Maybe it's just me. But nobody else has said anything I don't think. I hope it was o.k...if it was too much, you could always add more of the other ingredients to dilute it. Hope everything turned out o.k...

Phil, oddly enough, I am realizing that I am not a big dill fan. Not sure what changed but it's not that the dill was overpowering, but rather I just don't like the taste. I don't know why the change. I added more sour cream and onion and I still thought it was too strong. My dad absolutely loved the dip so it's definitely not the recipe.

I have a huge bunch of fresh dill that I bought at the farmers market that I guess I have no choice but to throw away.

Any other recipes you might have or ideas what I can do with the dill? I dread throwing it away and wasting it. I might just dry and store it.

Erik

Back