The SJS lid lock challenge!

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I was thinking it would be a challenge to see who could come up with a lid lock system for the SJS. Let's face it everyone likes the lid lock but many don't like the side vents. The problem I have with the bungee cord idea is that it could melt if the grill is still hot. I was thinking something a little more permanent and better looking. I have been trying myself and figure a few hundred heads could come up with some great ideas. Thanks

i'm crushed that yer not happy with my bungee fix
icon_frown.gif
far as i can see the weber design is about it. buy the wire thingy and maybe the handle and thats about it.

Sorry George, I have never seen a picture of how it works. I think there might be a better way than having to place an order at Weber. I have seen so many creative HD mods that I think we can come up with something. The last great mod was the HD hook for holding the lid. I am thinking some kind of clamp on both sides of the base that turn to clamp the lid and hold it in place.

Well there doesn't seem to be much interest but here's how I see it. The only problem with the SJS is that the lid won't lock. Aside from that they are usually preferred because of the bottom vent, but what if you already have one and want a locking top or you get one really cheap and still want the best of both worlds. I was at the hardware store today and saw a few possibilities.

1. One is a steel cable wire made to fit with crimps. It would work like the bungee idea without the stretch. It wuld just wrap over throught the handle and snap with a snap hook on the legs.

2. They have those locks like on old lunch boxes. If they fit correctly they would look nice and cost under $4

3. Some kind of screw that would be easy to pull off and put on joining the lid to the base.

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Well there doesn't seem to be much interest but here's how I see it. The only problem with the SJS is that the lid won't lock. Aside from that they are usually preferred because of the bottom vent, but what if you already have one and want a locking top or you get one really cheap and still want the best of both worlds. I was at the hardware store today and saw a few possibilities.

1. One is a steel cable wire made to fit with crimps. It would work like the bungee idea without the stretch. It would just wrap over through the handle and snap with a snap hook on the legs.

2. They have those locks like on old lunch boxes. If they fit correctly they would look nice and cost under $4

3. Some kind of screw that would be easy to pull off and put on joining the lid to the base.

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've been kinda thinking on this. i don't think cables will work as its near impossible to get them on tight enough. locks, maybe but just hit one and you might have a mess on yer hands. the screw thing might work?? i'll ponder that today.
i still like my bungee cord idea for cheap and easy
icon_razz.gif

i've stared at mt sj until it got a complex. i'm sure a clip could work. it would need to be strongly springed to keep it on the lid as the lip is slanted. but to make one would be hard let alone three or four. i will keep a eye open for premade stuff though. until then, my bungee cord mod is the easiest and cheapest so far.

Back