Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce - here's one, and looking for recipes

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
I'm looking for recommendations for a good recipe for a raspberry chipotle bbq sauce. I found this one online, but have not yet tried it. Does anyone have another one that they like that they'd care to share? Many thanks -

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@@@@@
The Ugly Brothers Raspberry/Chipotle Sauce

As used by the Ugly Brothers to win the 1999 California State Championship Tri-Tip

18 oz Hunts BBQ Sauce
16 oz. Knotts seedless Raspberry Preserves
8 oz white vinegar
6 canned Chipotles en adobo chopped extremely fine
3 TBS garlic crushed
1/2 stick sweet butter

Mix all over low-med heat and simmer until all are well mixed. This sauce is sweet and hot so you don't need too much! If you plan on using this sauce please assign a designated driver!!

UPDATE FROM KERI 6-9-2003:

I made this sauce this weekend, with these changes: I used Bullseye BBQ sauce, and I added a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar and 8 hard shakes of Chipotle Tabasco. I also zapped the peppers in the food processor with the raspberry preserves before adding to the saucepan. Dear husband Robert declared it a keeper. It was pretty tasty, I admit. I thought the raspberry would jump out at you, but it doesn't. It turns out to be a very subtle "now what is that?" kind of taste when blended with the chipotles.

Served it (along with Blues Hog, Head Country hot, and a basic pepper-vinegar sauce) with ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. I saw the raspberry sauce being used on all meats, but seemed especially popular with the brisket.

I'm really curious as to how this would work with blueberry now - I think it would be a good match.

Keri C

I bought some at Costco, used it on Chicken and it turned out great. Nice color to finished product and I did not have to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Dennis. Now if Costco would just start putting a store or two in Oklahoma, I'd have it made! Gotta cross the Red River going south if I want to go to one... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Keri C

Keri,
Are most of the raspberry chipotle sauces you have tried somewhat similar in their characteristics? I had some for the first time this weekend and really enjoyed it.

Couldn't find much. I've never had a raspberry chipolte, I really like just plain chipolte. Anyways here's the only link I could find, with the recipe below.

3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup orange blossom honey
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 minced, canned chipotle pepper plus
1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can
1/2 cup mashed fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro

Combine barbecue sauce, honey, lime juice, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly; stir in raspberries and cilantro

This was from http://recipes.factpry.com/recipe/fourth+of+July/tri+ti...potle+barbecue+sauce

Keri,

I have discovered that I learn more from failures than from anything else. With that in mind I will share a something that did not work for me.

I tried a variation of Steve Petrone’s #5 sauce.

1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
1 TBS worst sauce
1 TBS adobe sauce from can of “chipotle with adobe sauce”
2 chipotle peppers from can of “chipotle with adobe sauce”
2 tsp favorite bbq rub

The sauce is overwhelmed by the raspberry vinegar. I do not like this sauce but I have not been able to make myself throw it out. Make sense?

I make this with cider vinegar and it is awesome. I think the trick will be balancing the cider and raspberry vinegar.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

Back