Water pan for '09 18.5" to big?

T Cooper

TVWBB Member
When I first opened the box last week and saw the water pan I thought "Wow that is a big difference from the pervious water pan. I just compared it to the old pan and the brinkman pan on the water pan page, and I think weber went overboard on it.
The new one is 14 1/2" diameter 7" deep holds 2 1/2 gallons and is only 1 1/4" from top of fire ring.
Here are a couple of picsI took. I layed the bottom grate over the fire ring and took a measuring tape up from the bottom so the pan pushed it down. With the pan so close it cuts down on the amount charcoal you can place in the pan.
I used it durring two cooks this weekend and I don't think I will use it again. I will be looking for a clay saucer.

I too think it is a tad too big. I filled up the ring to the brim last weekend and the clearance was probably less than an inch between the water pan and the charcoal. They could have gotten away with making it about a inch to two inches shallower and it still would have been plenty big enough.

I can only wonder why Weber didn't allow tvwb to test fly the new products? It would be very dumb to make the waterpan too deep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
I can only wonder why Weber didn't allow tvwb to test fly the new products? It would be very dumb to make the waterpan too deep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was allowed to "test fly" the 22", of course, and I also cooked on the 18" when I visited Weber HQ last September. I filled the ring with charcoal and noticed that there was very little room for wood chunks on top due to the depth of the water pan.

Remember, the WSM is Frankensteined together from other Weber parts. The 22" water pan is the lid from a 18" grill, I think, and the new 18" water pan looks an awful lot like the bowl from the old 14" WSM 1880. Not sure what it is, exactly, but it's probably reused from some other product past or present.

I agree that a Brinkman-like pan would work better.

Chris

hey T. what kind of crazy cool lookin lump are you burnin' there? sorry its off topic slightly.

I actually have an old Electric Brinkman that I haven't used in a couple of years. Almost threw it out, but will definitely make sure I grab the water pan and the grates. Anything else I should grab before giving it the heave ho.

While I would never dispute Chris on anything Q, I think the 18" water pan is made out of the base of a Smokey Joe grill. In fact, when I pulled the water pan out of the box I immediately looked at my Smokey Joe on the shelf and thought how this WSM is so big that they use Joe parts to make it.

Once this cold snap blows through I'll take a picture of the two side by side and see. It's just too cold to do anything outside.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Once this cold snap blows through I'll take a picture of the two side by side and see. It's just too cold to do anything outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In Florida! You're kidding right?
Tim

Yeah, I know. Florida boy complaining about the cold just doesn't sound right does it? Well, the downside to living here in the high summer heat & humidity is that I can't handle cold at all. Anything below about 60 and I shut down. Once it hits about 40-50 I simply can't get warm anymore and stay inside.

I have a lot of respect for folks that can live in areas that routinely get to freezing or below. I couldn't do it.

Russ

Just messin with ya Russ,
We have family down there, and when they visit us in the summer,( never winter ) they're wearin sweaters.
The downside to living here is when the Heat Index gets close to 100+ I feel the same as you.

Even though I work outdoors. I couldn't handle one of your summers.

Stay warm.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Will the Brinkman charcoal pan fit in the new 18 inch model for use as a water pan like it did in the previous model? The revised water pan in the new 18 in Weber appears to be unsat regarding clearence.

Mike J

Back