Palm BBQ Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewjeff

TVWBB Member
Call me anal, but I try to track/log my BBQ techniques.

Does anyone have a Palm Pilot database for tracking BBQ cooking?

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while. If you guys are interested, I'd be willing to put something together.

If people start posting suggestions to this thread, I'll start developing!

k

Kevin,

If you build it and folks find it useful, I will post it on the Web site along with the hardcopy BBQ log I created.

You should start by downloading the hardcopy log to see the common info most people want to track, then see if people want anything added.

Regards,
Chris

Kevin: I'm obviously interested.
I just don't have the time to set it up these days (not that it would take too long!).

I did a search on www.palmgear.com and nothing came up either.

Hi,
I've been working on a similar project. Like lewjeff, I try to keep track of cooking sessions from start to finish. I started with simple hand recordations of observations and notes then entering the data in an Excel spreadsheet. It wasn't long before the data I wanted to record required a more efficient method of recording. So I started using one of those hand held micro cassette things. I could replay the tape next day or even a week later and enter the data into the Excel spreadsheet.

About a month ago I started moving the data from Excel to Access. I could see that I needed a better way to retrieve specific cooking sessions for comparison, VB forms to present the data online and better links to multimedia components.

I don't have a Palm Pilot but I quess that data could be downloaded from Access to the Palm or visa versa.

I also am researching, though not ardently, a nice digital hookup between a pc and weather recording instruments. Between a Polder type thermometer and the pc is still a dream right now. It seems if they can make sending and receiving units then it shouldn't be a big step to hookup to a pc.

I'll pass along anything that I have to those who are interested.

Brian

As a Palm user I can tell you that there are a number of Palm <-> Excel tools on www.palm.com. I have used Quicksheet and it works really great. These things are $20-$40 each so they are a good investment. You can try most out for free for 30 days or so. There are also databases for the Palm there also. I think there is a strong offering from Sybase lsat time I looked.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Rockoff (edited 05-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bryan Rockoff (edited 05-12-2001).]

I think this a great idea but can we develop a program involving a satelite up link with audio and visual so we can all watch each of us cook?. Give the industry two years.

Best wishes to all,
Steve

I don't think we need a satallite, just a web cam and a cable modem. Hmmmm..........

The up link is important because if you are on a picnic in a park then you can provide real time data. When I get some time this afternoon I will call NASA and Hughes and ask them what the cost factor will be - this is real cool stuff!.

Best wishes,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back