Grilled Basil & Pepper Coated Kangaroo Fillet

Phil Hartcher

TVWBB All-Star
Australian are the only race of people wo eat the two animals shown on their country's coat of arms
The following is a recipe for Kangaroo and works equally as well for Emu.

Grilled Basil & Pepper Coated Kangaroo Fillet

1/2 kg of kangaroo fillet, about 25 mm (1”) thick
1 packed cup of basil
2 teaspoons of peppercorns
1 teaspoons of sea salt
1 pinch of Masterfoods Piri Piri seasoning (careful it is very hot)
½ cup of oil
Blend basil, peppercorns, salt, Piri Piri and oil to a smooth paste, taste and adjust seasoning if required.
Coat the fillet with the paste and let stand in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
Preheat the Weber Q on high for 10 minutes and then adjust regulator setting to 2 stokes below high. Ensure meat is evenly coated with the basil paste and grill the fillet for 4 ½ minutes per side for medium rare. Adjust cooking times for preferred level of doneness.
Notes: Kangaroo should be served medium rare to medium (maximum) for best results.
This recipe can be modified for use with Emu, Chicken, Pork, Red Meat or Game. Cooking times will vary between meats, It is important to cook quickly therefore the thickness of the meat is also important.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”

I think I'll just hop on over to my favorite meat market (sorry for jumping in here and being roooooooo'd)

Kangaroo meat is pretty readily available around here, mostly at butcher shops but I've seen it grocery stores too. IMO, it tastes a lot like venison...of which I'm not a huge fan. : ) If you haven't had it before, give the recipe a try and see what you think. If you look around, you'll find it...and it's not very expensive (relatively speaking).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I think I'll just hop on over to my favorite meat market (sorry for jumping in here and being roooooooo'd) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave/G, Thank you for leaping in, your humor knows no bounds (LOL)

David
Phil R is correct in regards to the taste, It is typical of a grass fed mammal with high mobility It has a strong game taste and is sinewy. It is very lean meat and so is generally cooked to a maximum doneness equivalent to medium. Typically you would hang the meat for 10 days to age it.
We can buy Kangaroo steaks, fillet and Kanga Bangers (kangaroo sausages) in the supermarket at a reasonable price. The kangaroos are prolific at the moment and are a menace. Because we are in the tenth year of a drought, they are competing with the livestock for the available grass. Near where I live it was common to see a mob (group) of about 20 to 30 kangaroos, now there are well over 150 and they appear to be undernourished. I am guessing that they will have to cull some soon for humanitarian reasons.

Back to the recipe. You can use the Basil and Pepper coating for most meat. It goes very well with beef and chicken and I am guessing that it would be ideal with venison.

Let me know if you try it out.

Regards

Back