ash question

Tom W

TVWBB Member
I'm thinking of getting a Pit Minder.
I did a cook last night and there was lots of ash, so much that i had to finish my picnic in the oven.

Doe the blower in these control systems waft up ash? This is my concern if i do purchase one.

yes, I know I need to build a wind shield which will reduce this issue.
icon_redface.gif

Thanks,
Tom

Oh BTW the pork came out great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom W:

Does the blower in these control systems waft up ash? This is my concern if i do purchase one.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about the Pit Minder, but for my Stoker, the answer is "no".

Just got my Pit Minder with a 10cfm fan last Thursday. Started a butt at 6 pm yesterday and pulled it at 10 am this morning for my daughters birthday party. Had no problem with ash what so ever. I used lump.
Mike
P.S.
It works awsome!!

Originally posted by Tom W:
I'm thinking of getting a Pit Minder.
I did a cook last night and there was lots of ash, so much that i had to finish my picnic in the oven.
QUOTE]

Sounds like you're using briquettes instead of lump. Briquettes have 10 times the volume of ash.

Thanks for the replies.

Yup Ken, I am using briquettes and still using a water pan. I'm gonna try the clay pot method my next cook. I'm also gonna build a windscreen. Hopefully this will help me with the ash issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom W:
Thanks for the replies.

Yup Ken, I am using briquettes and still using a water pan. I'm gonna try the clay pot method my next cook. I'm also gonna build a windscreen. Hopefully this will help me with the ash issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find some lump, you won't be sorry. After I discovered lump, I never looked back. In fact I have a 10lb bag of briquettes that's over 2 years old. If you were close, I'd give it to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Doe the blower in these control systems waft up ash? This is my concern if i do purchase one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used Guru w/ both lump and briquettes w/o any ash problem. I like a good lump best.

I use a Competitor with a 10 cfm fan no problems at all with ash flying around for 5 years now. When I go to stir the coals or knock the ash down I turn the guru off so it doesn't come on when doing the stir/knock thing. 95% of the time I'm using lump.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

I Just ordered a pitminder with the 10 cfm fan. It should arrive within the week. I hope this will end the sleepless nights and make bbqing a lot easier.

I will also look around for some lump and see how i like it.

It's pretty sweet to set up a load of butts, get her stabilized, shower (my wife makes me do this because of the smoke smell before I get in bed!), and hit the sack knowing that I'll wake in the morning and a beautiful cook wil have been taking care of itself.

I am stoked, hehe.

I received my pitminder in 3 days and today I went to Home depot and bought 2 bags of cowboy lump. I can't wait to try it out. I will try a foiled water pan as It has been suggested. I can almost taste the bbq already. MMMMmmmmm
icon_wink.gif

I did some searching and found out that cowboy lump isn't very good.
icon_frown.gif
I plan on returning it. BTW, I found a wicked good lump distributor near me and sent them an email on how to acquire some.

The cook I did on Sunday/Monday used about 12 LBS of Royal Oak lump. After letting the cooker set for over a day, I emptied the ash.... there was almost NONE! I'd likely have to burn 35+ LBS of this stuff to even reach the vents!

Once I used Kingsford (old style) and after a bag, the ash was so heavy that it was packed right to the charcoal grate. That was the last time I used Kingsford or any briquettes in an overnight cook. Sure, they are cheaper, but I LOVE the lump!

Back