My first try on smoked turkey.

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
This is my first try on smoked turkey.
I know how to make a very juicy turkey in the oven, and I have not been quite sure if I would enjoy the smoke taste on poultry.
This weekend I just had to give it a try. Here’s the result of my feeble attempts:
First of all, I brined the turkey as usual in 5% brine. I’ve done this for years, so nothing new here. I always separate the turkey into bone in breast and thigh. I make broth of the leftovers.
Here are the turkey parts. As always, injected with beurre clarifié and some dried spices, ground to dust. Brushed the skin with melted butter and some dried red peppers/black pepper mixture.

Notice the extra breast, for pastrami, dry cured for four days. I will make pastrami of that one, and smoke it in the WSM when the temps are going down, just with fresh smoke wood added. I used apple wood, two small chunks for the turkey, and a couple of new pieces of alder when I added the extra breast.
So, after two and a half hours on the WSM, this was the result. I took the pieces off the WSM at an internal temperature of 155 degrees F.

Rested for at least a half an hour before cutting:
The dark meat:

The breast:

Plated, with amarone potatoes, braised vegetables and broth based gravy thickened with butter and white flour.
I added a light drizzle of Swedish lemon scented finger salt. Cunning people, the swedes..
icon_smile.gif

Now, I’m not too happy. The cook ended up pretty much as I assumed.
The turkey was juicy, yes, but not super juicy. I do not want to brag, but my turkey usually turns out as mentioned.
Smoking is fun, but I think I’ll use my stove as usual. The subtle smoke flavor did not add anything that I cannot live without.
Any suggestions for improvement?
Thank you for reading, and as usual- click on the pictures for larger ones.

Dude....nothing wrong with the way that your buzzard looks. Since I started brining and smoking buzzards, I have never had a problem with moistness. One thing that I do, is to chill the breast for 30 minutes before cooking and NEVER let the temp at the breast go over 160 before pulling and foiling. A good hour rest tightly wrapped in foil seems to be the ticket for getting the juices re-absorbed. Great looking cook, and I am most interested in how your pastrami comes out using turkey breast. Going to do one with a brisket flat very soon.

I agree. But if you cut up the turkey before you cook it, and use seperate thermometers on the thigh and breast, there is no need for cooling down anything, and you can remove the different parts when they are finished. Carving the bird at the table is something I never do.
I do not want to risk the edge of my knives, hitting the fork, as well as the fact that my knives are dangerous tools that needs to be used when I'm totally sober, and that means that I'd need to drink water for starters.

looks good from here. but i'm not understanding you giving up after one try. i'll take my smoked turkey over oven turkey every time.

George- No, I will probably try again. But I've used many years and many turkeys to make my oven roasted turkey to perfection.
We are only two people left in the house right now, and a whole turkey means a lot of leftovers, let's say ten meals.
That means that it is easier for me to make a super juicy turkey in the oven, than trying to achieve the same thing on the WSM.
As long as I do not think that the smoke flavor added anything that I'd desire, I will use the oven.
It's just not enough people to eat the more or less failures.
icon_smile.gif

I have just bought ten pounds of turkey breasts. They will be easier to experiment with, I think.

Your turkey looks much better than mine usually does. I eat mine on sandwiches that I take to work.

Geir, your photos are outstanding!
any better, I'd be standing over your plate!
The bird looks terrific, i wouldn't change a thing!

Geir,

It certainly looks excellent, even if it wasn't as good as yours done in the oven. I generally prefer turkey cold and served in sandwiches to hot turkey, which kinds of lends itself to smoking. I'd say that applies to grilled, oven roasted and even fried. My father made a smoked turkey on his Summit rotisserie this year, and that might have been the first turkey that I've ever enjoyed equally well hot and cold.

Can't wait to see how the pastrami turns out.

Beautiful turkey Geir, and your pics (as always) knocked my socks off!

I have a small turkey in the freezer, and think I'll start thawing it after seeing yours!

On Thanksgiving we always have one smoked (mine) and one from the oven. Both are great, just different. I prefer the smoked bird. I definitely like the gravy from the smoked bird better. It's an individual choice.

Back