Q100 Burner Not lighting all around

Jason Medley

TVWBB Member
Hey Everyone,
Picked up my first Baby Q 100 used earlier this week. Saying it was well used and not cleaned up after each would be an understatement, but I got it in for a nice price, so can't complain...

Looking for some advice on some issues I have run into:
1) one touch ignition is working, but the burner is not igniting around the entire burner. I have tried to clean with a wire brush. It does not seem to be rusted through-just not sure why the gas is not making it around the full loop...
2) coating on the PCI grate has come off in areas. used some sos pads on the rust-but this thing probably needs replacing
3) No ash pan/plate-looks like about $9 for the plate and then $5 for a pack of small drip pans
I think I have seen the grates on eBay for ~$35.

I would like to resell this. Seems like they might sell for $50-80 used? Not a lot of room if I have to buy the parts!! What would you do?

I guess it technically is a Baby Q...Why does Weber not make a ss grill for this? There is an aftermarket ss one on eBay for $56!! Are you freakin' kidding me? You can get an 18 or 22" ss grate for $10-15 at HD...

On the problem with the gas ring it sounds like it may need a good cleaning. One screw on the left side near the ingniter is what holds it in place. Remove that and lift up from the left and pull out to the left. I cleaned mine with lots of soap,hot water (let it soak for a few), and a Brillo pad. This helped but still had an area that was not lighting. I took it apart again and then used a very small pin to clear out any debris on the gas holes. Be very careful here as you don't want to use anything that will widen the holes, just big enough to get in and clear it out. I used a sewing needle held with a pair or pressure pliers. The diameter of needle was smaller than the holes so I was able to work it around. Works fine now.

On the PCI grate, I burned of the PCI coating on mine the first year I had it (the Q200 gets hot). Not been a show stopper. You just need to re-season the grate. Scrub off any rust with a Brillo pad. Once that's done thoroughly dry the grate by heating it on the stove or Q. Once it gets hot apply liberal amounts of peanut oil and let that set in. Do that a few times (not the scrubbing part). And you should be good to go. Just remember to keep a light covering of veg or peanut oil on it when not planning to use it for an extended period of time.

I like that stainless steel cooking grate, but it doesn't match the design of the original. The pci grates that come with the Weber Q have solid areas above the flames. These solid areas are needed because the grill design doesn't include lava rocks or flavorizer bars. I'm gonna stick with the pci for now.

Bill

Thanks for the advice. I got the burner working just fine now after I took it off and used a toothpick to poke the holes again. I worked a long time on the pci grates today-was about 5 years of crap with no cleaning from the prior owner. I got a lot of it off, but thing I need to go after it again after re-seasoning it and seeing some areas where the stuff is still a bit caked on to the grates. I need the catch pan/drip pan, another grate cleaning, and this thing should be ready!!

I bought some bio-degradeable de-greaser and soaked my burner in it for a few hours. I used tooth picks to clean out the holes and then took the garden hose and blaster water into the end of the burner to blow through and water was shooting out all the holes quite nicely.

My grate, I thought, was cast iron. I also soaked it and brushed it to "like new" after it was pretty "gunked up". Had to brush and soak a few times but it looked brand new when finished. I cook on it a lot and putting an oil on it when out of service for a while is a great idea........thanks.

Back