1/4 c water
1/4 c ketchup
2 t worchestershire sauce
1 T dark brown sugar
1/2 t cayenne peper
1 t fresh ground black pepper
1 t salt

Simmer 10 minutes.

Steve, I tried this recipe yesterday with pulled pork and really enjoyed the sauce. Very nice balance of ingredients and not too vingery as other sauces I've tried. Just what I've been lookig for. This recipe was much better than the Vaunted Vinegar Sauce listed in Smoke and Spice. Will definitely use this recipe again with my pulled pork. Thanks!

Terrell

New Modification:

Add 1/2 t homemade chipotle pepper

This added alot of color and some heat-perhaps the best vinegar sauce I have made.

Charles, I make two sauces that i keep on hand. One is this Lexington sauce and the other is No. 5.
After complicating a Kansas City sauce to the point of having over 20 ingredients, I decided to make the most simple sauce possible. the result is No. 5-only 5 ingredients.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 T worchestershire sauce
1 T rub

Simmer and enjoy-remember I use low salt rubs

This is so easy and evreyone seems to enjoy it!

Steve, do you do like Kevin does and put salt directly on what you are smoking before you cook and let sit? I've been trying to watch the amount of salt I put on BBQ and that seems more controllable.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 T worchestershire sauce
1 T rub
Hmmm...at first glance, that doesn't seem spicy enough for my taste.
I'm looking forward to adding the Chipotle to the Lexington sauce to perk up the heat, and was wanting a sauce for chicken with some kick.
However, I did grill some chicken last night, and used the Lexington on it...it was great!

I marinated 4 breasts in 3/4 cup EVOO, 3 T vinegar, and 3 T McCormick Roasted Garlic Chicken Seasoning for 30 mins, then grilled.
It may have been the Bud Light, but I thought it was some of the best chicken I've grilled in a long time. :)

Paul-Kevin can control his salt by using it by itself. Very effective. I choose to make my own rubs and cut the salt in most recipes by 1/3 to 1/2. When I use the rub elsewhere, sometimes on the table, I NEVER use salt-just rub. So that is how I limit my salt intake.

Charles, that chicken sounds goooood.

Charles-the spice comes from the rub and depends a great deal on it. My theory is that if you like the rub...you will like the 'matching' sauce. You can always increase the amount of rub for more spice.
For more heat add hot pepper sauce or red pepper.

My goal was good and simple-adjust to your taste.

Steve, that brings up another question. I was using a recipe for a rub using Splenda. Some of the ingredients called for celery salt and other spices with salt in them like seasoning salt. Would you substitute or try to come up with an equivalent spice without the salt? I'm using this recipe this weekend on a couple of injected butts . Will let you know how it worked out.
Paul-Kevin can control his salt by using it by itself. Very effective. I choose to make my own rubs and cut the salt in most recipes by 1/3 to 1/2. When I use the rub elsewhere, sometimes on the table, I NEVER use salt-just rub. So that is how I limit my salt intake.

Charles, that chicken sounds goooood.

You have two options. if a recipe calls for celery salt-sub with celery seed (it would be a signifcantly less amount. The same for garlic salt-sub powder. I can't tell you how much less to use. With celery, seed is loaded with flavor. I would guess that you would start with 10% of the original measure. With garlic or onion salt-the powder would sub at aound 25% of the original amout.

The other option is to delete the ammount of salt added to the recipe. I would figure any flavored salt is just 'salt' in terms of considering overall salt.

Charles-the spice comes from the rub and depends a great deal on it.
Well, DUUUUH! How'd I let that fly over my head?
Let's see...I've got some Blues Hog, and some Wild Willy's Number Wonderful Rub.
The Wild Willy's is spicier, so I'll try that in your No. 5.
Glad you mentioned that, I get thick-headed from time to time.
icon_wink.gif

Steve, Used your vinegar sauce last weekend on two butts. I really liked it. I changed the cayenne pepper to chipotle pepper. My only problem was I didn't make enough of your sauce. I tried to use it as a finishing sauce and I didn't have enough. Will double the batch next time. Everybody wants to dump BBQ sauce all over the pork. It just horrifies me. I tell them just to try it neeked first. NAhhh, I guess they are to used to the store bought junk.

Paul, I used to be that way with salt...just dumped it on everything by the bucketfull.
High B.P. cured me. I never use salt at the table and have not missed it. People get into habits, adding this or that-sometimes the food is better with out the salt or sauce etc.

1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
1/4 c ketchup
2 t worchestershire sauce
1 T dark brown sugar
1/2 t cayenne peper
1 t salt

A slight modification on the above sauce

1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
1/4 c ketchup
2 t mustard
1 T dark brown sugar
1/2 t chipotle pepper
1 t salt
Add some Sweet Baby Rays (to taste). I used 2 or 3 squeezes

I was out of worchestershire sauce and cayenne so I used cheap mustard and chipotle. Dip the face of a roll in it, let it sop up good and nuke pork sandwich for about 30 sec. It's fantastic. Best sauce I've ever had.

Here's the one I use. Very similar. Got it from Girls at the Grill.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lexington-Style BBQ Sauce For Pulled Pork

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup ketchup

Mix all ingredients together and let sit 10 minutes. Add to chopped barbecue when hot to season the meat and keep it from drying out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 453 Calories; 1g Fat (1.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 128g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 7084mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Fat; 8 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Back