Keri's Chile Verde / Green Chile Sauce

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
This is the New Mexican green chile sauce that I wanted so badly to be able to make that I bought 30 lb of Hatch chiles to freeze (and I MAY buy another 30 lb...) This recipes does not turn out well with canned chiles. Trust me on that. I'm not sure if this should go here or in the side dish category... it's wonderful over omellets, breakfast burritos, enchiladas, burritos, mixed in with chopped leftover brisket or pork, or thinned a bit with a can of chopped tomatoes and chicken added for a nice green chile chicken stew. To quote my other half, "That's some good *&^%, Maynard!"

@@@@@
Keri's Chile Verde Sauce (mild)

1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder [will use fresh instead]
1/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped green chile*
1 cup chicken broth**

Heat shortening in a medium-sized skillet on medium heat. Sauté the chopped onion in shortening. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.

* Varied amounts may be used.
** Two cups tomatoes with liquid may be substituted.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time 9-1-2004

_____

Keri, Thank you
icon_wink.gif
Did you ever make the ABT'S with these.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

No, I haven't. I've had a lot of people ask that - one or two ABTs would make a full meal. We'd have to change the name of these to Atomic Dinosaur Turds instead of Buffalo. Seems to me that the cooked consistency of jalapenos is more firm than that of these Hatch New Mexico/Anaheim chiles. I'm just not sure how well these big guys would stand up for ABT purposes. Just my observations...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri,

I've been wanting to make this but it seems that Hatch Chiles are not available here in California.
Do you think that Anaheim or Poblano Chiles would be a good sustitute ?
And..Do you roast them beforehand ?

Thanks
Jim C

Hatch chiles are called New Mexico chiles in most of Calif. You can use Anaheim which are oftencalled Californias in many places. And sometimes Hatch/New Mexicos are (mis)labeled as Anaheims.

Mmmmm... ! Chop up leftover brisket, dump it in a big skillet with a little of your favorite salsa, and heat it up. Put about 1/3 cup chopped brisket in a large flour burrito, fold it up burrito-style, and toast it in a skillet on both sides until nice and toasty brown, then ladle chile verde on top, sprinkle on chopped lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.

Yeah, I know, it sounds a bit boring but STILL a tasty use for leftover brisket.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

Keri, take that cut up brisket along with onions ,green peppers, and diced tomatoes , and spices in that skillet saute and put over rice.

Keri - I just made your sauce, using Poblanos because I have a lot of little ones I am picking before it frosts. It turned out excellent - my wife already has a bunch of ideas for its use.

Question - Is the flour needed? I usually puree my vegetable sauces with an immersion blender and cook to the desired thickness.

Jim

I've always used the flour, but the boat-motor would probably work. The consistency would be a bit different, but still good, I would think.

I am so addicted to chili verde it's not funny. We just got back from a long weekend's run up through northern NM and SW Colorado to go see the aspens for my birthday, and everywhere we ate I searched for the "real" chili verde. Some okay, some good, and one really outstanding (at the Durango Diner in Durango, CO - highly recommended for breakfast if you're ever in Durango).

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

I like the Durango Diner. And there was a good coffee place on College(?).

Jim, Keri--

You could take the Mexican approach to this and roast the peppers first. Peeled then minced, they'll break down during cooking quite a bit. Roasted tomatillos are a frequent addition (recommended!); broil them till they blacken in spots, turn, blacken a bit further and they'll collapse. Chuck them in the pot (along with any accumulated juices) and break them up a bit as they continue cooking in the sauce. If you have some time, cook till reduced to your liking, mashing occasionally with a fork. Less time, puree slightly with the blender.

Another Mexican approach is to put roasted peppers, the onion, and charred-till-soft unpeeled garlic cloves (which are then peeled) into a blender (along with boiled or roasted tomatillos, optional) and just enough chicken stock to allow the blender to work; blend by pulsing till coarsely pureed. Melt lard (or shortening) in a pot, fry the cumin, then add the puree and fry it. Cook 10-15 min, adjust stock and salt if necessary, pull and stir in chopped cilantro leaves, if desired.

These approaches do not use flour (it isn't used in Mexico much for this sort of thing except for a few spots in the north); one does see flour included in many New Mexico versions though and the NM's might also include some or all of the peppers roasted first and might include boiled or roasted tomatillos. A thyme and/or marjoram addition might be seen in some regions of Mexico, especially if meats will be cooked in the sauce; that is less often seen in New Mexico but not unheard of.

I haven't tried the tomatillos in it yet, but I do always roast my chiles beforehand (or cheat, if I have to, and use a tub of Bueno brand frozen roasted chopped green chiles, as the NM natives recommended I use). I usually roast a big batch at a time and freeze them whole in batches just the size needed for the sauce, and wait to remove the skin and chop until I use it. I may have to try that immersion blender approach, as my chopped chiles usually break up pretty well anyway. Thanks for the ideas!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a tub of Bueno brand frozen roasted chopped green chiles, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Those are very handy.

I like the tomatillo addition when I'm making a straight sauce version or when including smoked or roasted pork, chicken or turkey. I'm not such a fan of them with beef. See what you think.

I had been contemplating making some green chile pulled pork enchiladas for Friday night munching for a comp coming up in a few weeks - sounds like the ideal testing session.

Keri

I made your Chili Verde this weekend and served it over a fresh crab omlet. Wow, was it ever delicious. Can't wait to try it on over enchiladas.

Thanks
Dan

Well i tried this recipe this weekend and it was great. I did two batches one with the flour and one without after roasting the peppers on the stove top. I tried the flourless version and it was great. I processed about half of it. After tasting that I don't see the need for the flour one but I'm sure I'll eat it up just fine.

I just made another batch of this great recipe. I thought it was worth bumping back up to the top for those that may of missed it. I use Anaheim's in mine up here.

Back