Eggnog recipes?

JamesH

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have any good eggnog recipes? About the only thing I miss from my ex wife was a cookbook she had with some "Grandma's eggnog" recipe that was pretty old school with egg whites and everything. It was also VERY potent in the alcohol department.

Any suggestions?

James, this is my "Grandpa's eggnog"...it sounds an aweful lot like your ex's grandma's...hope this works for you...it sure as hell works wonders for me during the holidays!
This is directly as written by my "Bopo" himself, and it is definetely old-school:

-6 eggs - seperated
-Whip egg yolks stiff
-Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and whip until thick
-Whip egg whites till peaks form
-Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar, whip until stiff
-Whip 1 pint whipping cream, after cream thickens add about 1/2 cup powdered sugar
-Continue whooping till stiff
-Slowly stir in 4 Oz. rum and 12 oz. whiskey into egg yolks
-Mix whites into yolk mixture, add whipping cream last
-Stir until well blended
-If too thick, add milk until desired consistency

Enjoy!

I did forget to mention that although my grandpa's recipe doesn't include it, nutmeg is a definite must have to sprinkle on top...Don's link reminded me of that.
And yes, it is unreal potent...it will get any Scrooge in the holiday spirit or make nuns...well, I'll leave that one alone!
Use with caution.

Originally posted by Tim Y:
I did forget to mention that although my grandpa's recipe doesn't include it, nutmeg is a definite must have to sprinkle on top...Don's link reminded me of that.
And yes, it is unreal potent...it will get any Scrooge in the holiday spirit or make nuns...well, I'll leave that one alone!
Use with caution.

Yeah I had a feeling it was just a sprinkle of nutmeg after reading Don's link.

I only made that old recipe twice. Best part was all the foam at the top. It looks nothing like the stuff you buy at the store.

James,

I've made Emeril's recipe for eggnog, and it was excellent, but I prefer Alton Brown's recipe, the cooked variety to be exact. In fact, I'm glad Christmas is coming and I'll take no grief for making a batch or two! Good luck finding a recipe that you like.

Alton Brown recipe....I tripled this recipe last year, and what a mess it was! Excellent holiday nog...my guests still talk about it and request it today.

this is the one i use

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2...-boiled-custard.html

1 quart of half and half (or use a 50/50 mixture
of heavy cream, whole milk, and/or half and half)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of all purpose flour
6 egg yolks, reserve egg whites
1 overflowing teaspoon of vanilla, almond, or
rum extract, or to taste
Whipped cream, to garnish
Freshly grated nutmeg, to garnish
1/2 to 1 ounce bourbon or rum, per mug,
or to taste, optional
{Punch bowl directions below}

Pour cream or milk into the top of a double boiler. In a separate small bowl, whisk the sugar and flour together and when the water begins to boil, whisk the sugar and flour mixture into the milk. Separate the eggs, reserving the egg whites in the refrigerator for another use, or to add to eggnog, if desired. In that same bowl you used for the sugar, beat the egg yolks until lemon colored and thickened. Temper the eggs with a few scoops of the hot milk, adding the milk to the eggs a little at a time, and whisking constantly while adding. Transfer the tempered egg mixture into the hot milk, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.

Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 180 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. You'll know that the custard is ready when it coats the back of a spoon and you can drag your finger through the middle, leaving a path. Remove from heat and strain through a cheesecloth covered sieve; set aside to cool. Once cooled, stir in your choice of extract flavoring; add nutmeg to taste (I do about 12 passes on a microplane), taste and add additional extract or nutmeg, as desired.

Cover and refrigerate until cold. If desired, just before serving, whip the egg whites separately with a pinch of cream of tartar, until fluffy. Whisk into the cooled custard before pouring into individual mugs. This step can be omitted if desired. Boiled custard can be used as a beverage, with or without a splash of bourbon or rum, and is also excellent over fresh or canned fruit, or when used as a dessert sauce over cake. Should keep about a week in the fridge.

To Prepare Eggnog for a Punch Bowl: Make multiple batches of this recipe, as needed, for the size serving bowl, but prepare each batch individually. Once cooled, add in the extract and nutmeg, and then combine batches together. Use a funnel to transfer into large gallon sized jugs to refrigerate overnight, or several hours until needed.

Just before serving, whip the egg whites separately with a pinch of cream of tartar, until fluffy. Shake the eggnog well, then add to the serving bowl and whisk in choice of alcohol. Drop dollops of whipped cream over the top of the serving bowl, and grate fresh nutmeg on top, if desired.

IMPORTANT: Add a little bit of liquor first to the serving bowl, the total amount will depend on the serving bowl size. If you are doubling this recipe, start with 1/2 cup, then taste before adding more liquor. Generally this doubled boiled custard recipe will take somewhere between 1 and 2 cups of bourbon or rum, or other variations, depending on tastes. Always start with a little, then add more to taste. Add dollops of the whipped egg whites to the serving bowl if desired, and gently fold in. Scoop into mugs and garnish individual mugs with whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg, if desired.

Variations: Can use bourbon, whiskey, or rum each alone, or in combination with sherry, cognac, or brandy, if desired.

Back