Put my 22" together

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I finally got around to assembling the 22" smoker. Everything was in good shape. The bowl or middle section are a little off, but that's usually the case with my wsms. I don't think it will be a problem and I can probably fix it with a mallet.

So I'm browsing through the users guide, and it makes an interesting statement about lump. The manual says to use briquettes, and that lump and heat beads are not recommended. I don't know what heat beads are, but I don't get why they would have a problem with lump.

???????? Lump is the only way I roll!!!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">briquettes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don’t know for sure, but I would be willing to bet that they are concerned about lump burning at hotter temperatures than briquettes and that the additional heat may damage the baked on finish. It is my understanding that briquettes burn around 600 degrees and lump around 1000 degrees. Only a guess.

If you figure out what heat beads are please let us know.

After doing some googling, it looks like Heat Beads are an Australian brand of briquette that - according to WikiAnswers - are made from actual coal. Their online "how to" video shows them starting up briquettes that look like they're being used in a Weber kettle, so I'm not sure why Weber doesn't recommend them for use. But I don't think it'll be a problem, I'll be sticking with good old American charcoal. USA! USA!
icon_smile.gif

Back