Making corned beef from brisket

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
I was bragging to my wife last night that I could take a piece of brisket and turn it into corned beef so good that she would beg me to make it over and over again.

Problem is, I was depending on this site for a brine recipe. I thought for sure one would be here. I looked but couldnt find one. Ya gotta help me out of this pickle...get it...pickle, corned beef.

I know this is really late, but i just joined recently, and saw your post. The following recipe comes from CI, and is a dry rub recipe, I have made it many times, including every year for St. Patricks Day. It is wonderful!!

Enjoy it! Let me know if you make it and how it turns out.

Ron

Home-Corned Beef Brisket

1/2 cup Kosher salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns cracked
3/4 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 bay leaves crumbled
1 beef brisket (fresh, 4 to 6 pounds), preferably point cut, trimmed of excess fat, rinsed and patted dry

1. Mix salt and seasonings in small bowl.

2. Spear brisket about thirty times per side with meat fork or metal skewer. Rub each side evenly with salt mixture; place in 2-gallon-size zipper-lock bag, forcing out as much air as possible. Place in pan large enough to hold it (a jelly roll pan works well), cover with second, similar-size pan, and weight with two bricks or heavy cans of similar weight. Refrigerate 5 to 7 days, turning once a day.

Back