SJ Char grate to food grate distance

James M-B

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi

I have a hardly used go-anywhere. I became frustrated at the lack of space between the charcoal grate and the food grate. This results in food getting burnt unles I keep moving it around

I'm thinking of a Smokey Joe as I believe they have a greater distance. Can anyone measure the grate to grate gap and let me know please. I'm talking about the 14.5" models. Thanks.

there is a guy in the netherlands who cooks amzing stuff on his charcoal wga. most is cooked indirectly. i wish you were closer as i'd trade with ya.

When I say hardly used - I picked it up on ebay for .99 - it's far from new!
I love the portability but I think it is at the expense of the cooking grate clearance. I believe the SJ has better grate to grate gap and wanted to check. I just want something to pop in the boat with the kids to cook sausages - portability is key. We aren't meant to light campfires any more here like I did as a kid.
I was hoping to pick up an end of season clearance as we haven't exactly had a barbecue summer here in the UK (particularly not Scotland!).
Thanks for the link - when my sister and BiL were building a house their GA was the only cooker (inside or out) they had for quite a long while and they kicked out some great stuff.

I've just done some quick grate gap measurements, you'll see my point:

Go-Anywhere 2.75"
Performer (22), 5" almost double the WGA
Medium BGE 8.75" (I usually cook higher but the charcoal is deeper than in a kettle).

Interestingly this is kind of why I originally got my WSM.

You're a gentleman - just what I wanted to know.
I came to work today with a ruler, ready to call in to a garden centre on the way home on the chance of getting a measurement. That extra inch is pretty appealing.

I dropped in to get a look and they had the floor models on clearance! One thing I couldn't understand was why it wasn't put together properly - hardly a good way to sell it. I made sure I got all the bits
icon_smile.gif

Back