Lid holder for WSM

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm looking for a lid holder for my WSM. I use 2 tables next to the smoker, but i manage to drop my lide on the concrete patio at least 3 or 4 times a season. I’ve been lucky so far, as I have only bent the lid handle and jammed the top vent open. I do everything from a wheelchair, so a lid holder be ideal for me and save me time. Any experienced suggestions would be welcome. If I could buy a lid holder on-line, that would be best as I am no DIYer.
Thank you all!

frank, i'm in a manual wheelchair and started to think of that issue with my new to me wsm. no one makes one that i have seen. i'll look around and think about it. my main concern is stability issues.

I don't really know what type of tables that you may have, but if they are wood or have a metal frame, could you drill a couple of holes, up under the top or the edge, and screw in the larger hooks (2, one for each side of the handle) that you can find at any hardware or big box store. The coated ones, that come in "storage hook sets" would be ideal. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!

The shape of the WSM lid is different from that of the kettle grill. I suspect that the shape would make a stable lid holder difficult to find. Maybe putting the lid on a clean towel on the ground would work better. Just a thought.

Bill

Originally posted by george curtis:
frank, i'm in a manual wheelchair and started to think of that issue with my new to me wsm. no one makes one that i have seen. i'll look around and think about it. my main concern is stability issues.

----------------------------------------------

Hi George,
I use a manual chair too. I’m a double amp, so I can hop to the ground when necessary, only these days I hop a lot slower. Stability is definitely an issue also to taken into consideration. If you come up with anything, let me know. I appreciate you fast response.
Thanks

Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
I don't really know what type of tables that you may have, but if they are wood or have a metal frame, could you drill a couple of holes, up under the top or the edge, and screw in the larger hooks (2, one for each side of the handle) that you can find at any hardware or big box store. The coated ones, that come in "storage hook sets" would be ideal. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!

Hi B Kaylor,
The tables I use right now are flimsy plastic things. I’ve been looking for a sturdy cart with wheels so I can move out of the way when I’m not smoking. I haven’t bought one yet because buying new equipment can be expensive and I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Something 2’ High x 14” Wide x 30” Long. I’ll have to look around for those hooks you’re talking about. Thanks for responding.

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
The shape of the WSM lid is different from that of the kettle grill. I suspect that the shape would make a stable lid holder difficult to find. Maybe putting the lid on a clean towel on the ground would work better. Just a thought.

Bill

Hi Bill,
You’re right almost all the Weber products are different sizes, so they are not interchangeable. I have used a piece of cardboard in the past, but this restricts my wheelchair maneuverability around the smoker. That’s why I used the table, which is temporary until I can figure something out. Please let me know if you can think of something else. I am open to all ideas. I appreciate your response.

one idea is to use an old gas grill frame into a unit that holds yer wsm. has tables and can be moved around. another is to use one of those tall planter hangers that can be put into the ground next to the wsm.

Here's another thought. Could you get another WSM center section from Weber and put in on the ground (no base and legs) and then rest the lid in that when you want access to your smoker? Perhaps, under the circumstances Weber could give you a good deal on a factory second or a scratched unit.

Bill

Here's another idea:
Something quick and easy is to get an inexpensive wooden, wheeled service cart from Ikea, for instance, and simply attach a larger overhanging wooden tabletop with a semi-circular cutout which can be easily wheeled right up to the WSM.

You guys had me thinking on this since yesterday.
Was out in the garage havin a cold one, and took a glance at my lectric roaster and came up with This
Whatcha think?

Tim

Originally posted by timothy:
Was out in the garage havin a cold one, and took a glance at my lectric roaster and came up with this.
Whatcha think?

Tim
Brilliant!

Please let me know if you can think of something else. I am open to all ideas I appreciate your response.[/QUOTE]

I missed the part where you are not a DIY type of guy. My bad !!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Buy a decent table, that's what I would use.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

that has to be the best and simplest idea i have ever seen ! bravo !

Was out in the garage havin a cold one, and took a glance at my lectric roaster and came up with this.
Whatcha think?

Tim

Please let me know if you can think of something else. I am open to all ideas I appreciate your response.

I missed the part where you are not a DIY type of guy. My bad !!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Buy a decent table, that's what I would use.
icon_smile.gif

Tim[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tim,
I didn’t forget you, I had to show your photos to my brother in-law who is a very good DIYer. I liked the idea and was hot for it. However he pointed out how easy the smoker could tip over under the right circumstances. I was still hot for the idea anyway, and he was willing to do it for me, but after a lot of thinking I just don’t want to chance an accident and destroy a days smoking, not to mention the mess or injury that an accident might cause. I still think your DIY Lid Hookup is the best I’ve seen.

I will continue to use my rickety plastic table until I can locate the appropriate cart with wheels to buy. I want to thank you for taking the time to post the photos you sent.

PS; nice looking motorcycle!
Frank M.

Hey Frank.
Glad you liked it...
icon_cool.gif

Ive been a little busy lately, so this was my first chance to check the board.
One thing I noticed on the stock WSM .
Face one leg and give a tug on your lid handle.
The lid will act like it's on a hinge, but the base remains stable.
Now rotate the lid and face two legs.. Using one finger with a slight tug, you will see how easy it is to make the whole WSM pop a wheely.
Frank, I would make it a point to always set your base with one leg always facing your line of approach. If your chair shifts, or you loose your balance while reaching for your lid, you might actually pull the whole unit (or at least your dinner) onto your lap.

Props to you for starting this thread!!!
icon_smile.gif
(that's why I initially rated it)
Cause I don't recall anyone thinking along your lines.
Good luck with your cart!

Tim

Originally posted by George L:
Here's another idea:
Something quick and easy is to get an inexpensive wooden, wheeled service cart from Ikea, for instance, and simply attach a larger overhanging wooden tabletop with a semi-circular cutout which can be easily wheeled right up to the WSM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi George,
I found the cart you were talking about from Ikea $60., sadly it wasn't available on-line.
I found another candidate on Bed,bath and beyond for $100. see below

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co...SKU=14825100&RN=2036

My wife and I are going order it near the end of July. If anyone sees a better deal, let me know!

thats a lot of $$$$$$ for a grill cart. look for old performers or carts etc on craigs list first. saved $$$$ can buy a lot of meat.

Back