"Salt Lick of Austin Texas" rub clone

Art R

TVWBB Super Fan
Once had the pleasure of eating at the Salt Lick outside of Austin, Texas. Wonderful spice combo on their BBQ.

Anyone ever try to replicate their spices? Any ex-kitchen staffer want to give out the secret?

Art

Art, try this combination:

1 cup kosher salt
1 cup black pepper
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
1 cup granulated garlic

Can't say where I got it, but it's VERY close to the original.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

That seems deceptively simple. Do you know anything about their wood selection? I once heard about pecan shells?

Love the ambiance of the SL. Didn't know it was a dry county...had to make a run to the next county over.

Got there and of course, there is only one tiny little run down gas station at a dusty crossroad. I'm thinking they will have little or no choice in beverages. To my complete surprise and huge walk in cooler in back had a great selection of craft beer and more. Must only exist becuase of of the SL.

AR

I've been using that recipe for a couple weeks now. (including my GC in Seattle last weekend). Sunday night, I threw on a CAB brisket flat on the WSM at 10pm, took it off at 11am, took it to work and sliced it fresh for my co-workers (who would have been depressed that I had no leftovers from the cookoff). I gotta tell you, that was one of my best briskets ever.

I do add a touch of ground celery seed and a pinch of allspice and one secret ingredient (gotta keep some things secret for competition) but only enough to add something to the background flavor.

Forgot to mention my theory on kosher salt. It is flaked and not as dense as regular salt, therefore not as salty. Equal parts of granulated salt and black pepper might be a bit salty. I forget the flavor ratio, but kosher is about 70% as salty as its granular counterpart.

Because of the size of the flakes found in the two major-brand Kosher salts (Morton's & Diamond), equal weight measures do not have the same volume.

To achieve the same amount (by weight), you need 1-1/4 measures of Morton's Coarse Kosher salt and 2 measures of Diamon Crystal Kosher salt to equal 1 measure of table salt.

Let me get this straight......My Kosher salt is more of a "Nugget"...Is this what you mean when you describe your salt as being "Flaked"?

yeah, Kosher salt is larger. Here's why that's meaningful:

"Kosher salt usually has no additives, and it has big crystals with large surface areas. This size and shape allows it to absorb more moisture than other forms of salt, and this makes kosher salt excellent for curing meats."

Also it's not iodized, which is good flavorwise for our purposes. And if you can find brands with no anti-caking/clumping agents (the same kinds you'd use for pickling) that might be even better.

Size o'the grain is one reason folks recommend granulated garlic and onion rather than the powdered variety. They don't turn into a paste as easily when you've got yer rub on.

IIRC, the last time I was in my local Penzey's they were selling boxes of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.

I've been using Morton's since it's available everywhere around here and am quite happy with it.

I would consider using Morton's Pickling salt for brines since it disolves much easier at room temperature than the kosher salt.

It's nice being near Wisconsin and the home of two of the major spice retailers, Penzey's and the Spice House. That'll make up for the shorter summers and cold winters (makes for hardier BBQers though).

Illinois has 2 Penzey's, one in Oak Park and one in downtown Naperville. The Naperville store is about 10 miles from home so gets most of my business.

There are also 2 Spice House stores but they're both too far for me to visit on a whim. For the few items they carry that Penzey's doesn't, I either have a friend who lives nearby pick them up or make an excuse to head to Milwaukee and hit Usinger's for some fresh sausage and the Spice House is just across the street. That powdered Habañero I picked up last time was REAL nice.
icon_eek.gif

I have neither granulated garlic nor kosher salt. How can I approximate the recipe using Sea Salt and Galic Powder?

Doing my frist brisket tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri C:
You have a LOCAL Penzey's?????
icon_confused.gif

_<span class="ev_code_RED">COOL!</span>_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Penzey's is opening stores all over now. They don't have that many yet but they are no longer just up north. Check their site for the latest list.

Back