Hot-dog stuffed smoked meat-loaf sandwiches

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
This is incredible. Just made it on the gasser, but it would be a cinch to make in a WSM. Shoulda taken pictures but it went too fast.

1.5 lbs ground beef
4 hot dogs

optional:
1 egg
2 T seasoned breadcrumbs

Mix the ground beef, egg and breadcrumbs together. I like to add the egg and breadcrumbs because they help hold the meat together but you can skip this or add your own seasonings.

Roll the ground beef out into a long rectangle a bit taller than the hot dogs (like 11" tall and 18"-22" wide" for the 8" dogs I used.) Take a bit of the ground beef, roll it into a long tube and build a 2x2 brick of hot dogs around it. The beef is kind of like "glue" to hold the dogs together. Then take the hotdog brick, place it on the beef rectangle and roll the ground beef around it. The idea is to make a solid meatloaf shaped like a burger (round with a 2"-2.5" diameter) stuffed with hotdogs. None of the hotdogs should be exposed.

Once you've got this hot dog meat loaf roll, sear it on each side for a minute or so, kinda like you would a burger. Then put the loaf on indirect and cook until internal temp is 155.

At this point, I like to cool it, then slice it up into 3/4"-1" slices and use them in sandwhiches in place of burgers. Heat back up when you're ready to serve.

Sandwich suggestion:
Toast buns, but thousand island dressing on each side, add some lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, and stick on a smoked hot dog stuffed meatloaf slice. Enjoy!

Back