how much unlit to use

Matt T

TVWBB Member
So i have NEVER EVER used my new mini wsm i made. Well, i have used it but i used an eletric hot plate as the heat source. Now i want to use royal oak lump. So how much unlit lump do i use and how much lit do i put on top of that to keep a burn around 275. i have a SS metal bowl in the mini wsm. I might put water in it. not sure yet!

thanks

Good question. Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you. But I do think the number of lit coals is very important for the mini and it differs from brand to brand and situation to situation in my experience(desired temp, windy, cold, etc). It would be nice to have a thread for what people have found.
I have found:
Regular Kingsford 10-12 for 210-250
Rancher 17-20 for 210-250

Not sure if this will help since you were asking about lump, but I got a good 6 hour smoke from this setup on Sunday. Filled the bowl with Kingsford to just even with the bottom of the vent holes and added 10 lit coals.

Side vents 1/3 open
Top vent 3/4 open (bbq thermometer occupies one hole)
Foiled 9-inch SS pie plate on a grate at bottom of the pot
Lid temp 250-270 for 6 hours - had fuel leftover
ribs_01.jpg

Fill it up with lump. Then top it off with 1/4 of a Weber Chimney starter. I don't worry too much about it because I would rather have some lump leftover, then not have enough.

Ralph's picture looks good to me.

Jay

WOW, my email never ever said that there were any replies. So this is a very late reply.

Ok, Sometimes i wonder why i say what i say, but i was really curious as to briqs because i use lump for grilling and briqs for bbq.

I have the following fuel that i will use at one point in time. Yes, lump WILL NOW be used since i have a guideline! haha:

reg kingsford
rancher briqs
RO lump
Stubbs 100% natural briqs

i have the SJG set up.

thanks for all the replies. now its time to read some of the thread links that were posted

Matt, The only fuel I have used in my mini is Stubbs briquettes. (LOVE 'EM!!
icon_biggrin.gif
) I have found that with a full bowl of unlit and 10/12 lit coals, I have maintained 225-245 for 9+ hrs!
I like to keep my temps low, so I find that with 10/12 lit, I am up to temp (225) in about 15/20 minutes.
Hope this helps,
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Matt, The only fuel I have used in my mini is Stubbs briquettes. (LOVE 'EM!!
icon_biggrin.gif
) I have found that with a full bowl of unlit and 10/12 lit coals, I have maintained 225-245 for 9+ hrs!
I like to keep my temps low, so I find that with 10/12 lit, I am up to temp (225) in about 15/20 minutes.
Hope this helps,
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AWESOMER! i love stubbs as well. I saw a ripped bag at lowes and offered the guy 6$ for it rather than the 8$ so i got two bags for 12$.

I have also seen RO premium briqs! i wonder if those are good?

This is all very nice to know because i am planning on using it soon! haha

I know I'm late to this party, but just got my Mini-WSM a few weeks ago. I fill the bowl to just below the vents, and add 7-8 lit coals to one side of the bowl. Mix in about 4-5 chunks of apple or cherry and I get 10+ hours with no problems.

Back