Whitetail Deer Hind

Mark Childers

TVWBB Member
Anybody ever smoke one? My father in law, cooks them on the propane grill at 235F and every time I eat it, its better than roast beef. But I have tried two. One on my weber bullet and one on my gas grill. Both were dry and the one on my smoker was tough and dry.

Any ideas? I know it has no fat. Maybe foil it?

i have done a roast and tenderloines from a deer. i let it soak over night in this
Venison Marinade
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
i the wrap them in bacon so it has some fat and cook them at 210 deg on the wsm for about 2 to 3 hours after the first hour i wrap in foil. i used 1 each of cherry and apple wood. the meat cooks so fast that i messed up my first one but learned alot from my first smoke. it tasts like deer jerky but with juices. make sure you cut your meat across the grain and it will make it more tender to.

Bone a haunch. Yearling is best (that's a 1 1/2 year old doe, not a 6 month old fawn). Work it over with a Jaccard. Roll it into a roast of uniform thickness and tie it up with cotton string. With a barding needle, lace the roast liberally with pork fat cap (off the loin--from your local slaughterhouse). Allow the bardoons to stick out the ends by an inch or so on either side. Pat the roast dry with paper towels, brush on a coat of olive oil and dust on your favorite rub. Put it on the rotisserie kettle and keep the temp around 350. YOu might have trouble keeping the temp this low unless you seal off the insert. Remove when the fat is rendered and it will still be red inside. Pretty damned good.

I've only done this twice. Good the first time, so I did it with the other leg. Vowed to try it with a vinegar based mop late into the cook, but may never get around to it. Too many other good ways to fix venison.

Takes less than two hours, if I remember. I suppose you could cook it slower in the WSM, and cook it into submission, but selecting the proper animal and preparing the meat correctly goes a long way toward having it be good med/rare off the rotis.

Mark

If you're talking about a roast from the ham, I think the dryness/toughness probably resulted from the meat being overcooked. Venison is very lean and I don't take mine over 150 to 155.

If you're talking about a shoulder roast, that's another story. They are much like a beef brisket, but without the fat. My only real success with them is a dutch oven type cook using some liquid.

Paul

Back