Chinese Pork Char Sui

Lennard, enjoy your WSM! Although these are not written for a smoker, here are 3 Char Siu (Chinese Roast/Barbecued Pork) recipes, two of which I’ve made and liked very much and the third comes from a good source but I haven't tried it yet. Hope they are helpful. Let us know if and how you adapted them for the WSM. Doug's suggestion about Googling is a good one. I hope this works; it's my first post on the re-styled forum.

Rita
-----------------------------------------------

This recipe is a “10” in our family:

CANTONESE ROAST PORK TENDERLOIN, LEE CHIN
(CHAR SIU)

Freezes well for months, especially if the meat has been frozen and then vacuum-packed. It is best to leave the meat in whole pieces for storing or rewarming in the oven in order to keep it from drying out.

2 pounds pork tenderloin, fat trimmed and meat cut into long strips about 2 inches in diameter, or 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick
1 carrot, for ends of skewers

MARINADE (Lee Chin)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
Red food coloring (optional)

ALTERNATE MARINADE (Irene Kuo, “The Key to Chinese Cooking,” p. 116)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
Scant 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons bean paste (bean sauce)**
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons pineapple or orange juice
Red food coloring (optional)
1 tablespoon malt sugar, honey, or Karo syrup

BASTING SAUCE (Try using a squirt bottle)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons hot water
4 teaspoons dark sesame oil

EQUIPMENT
“S”-shaped hooks made from stiff wire, or curtain hooks or paper clips bent into “S” shape (also, check the TVWB jerky threads for some discussion and clever ideas for hanging the meat)
A large roasting pan for catching drippings

1. Marinate meat for 2–4 hours (no longer, or the texture will be affected.)

2. LEE CHIN’S METHOD USING A VERTICAL ROASTER WITH SKEWERS: Thread the pork strips on the skewers and end with a 3/4-inch piece of carrot to keep the meat from sliding off. Hang skewers from the vertical roaster and place in a small roasting pan filled with 1/4 inch of water.

IRENE KUO’S OVEN RACK METHOD: Remove all the racks from your oven but the topmost one. Pour a few inches of water into a roasting or broiling pan and place it on the floor of the oven to catch the dripping and prevent smoking. Preheat the oven as per recipe instructions.
Insert a meat hook, drapery hook, or even a bent strong paper clip into one end of each meat strip (1 hook per strip) and hook the strips onto the top rack over the drip pan in one line. (If you like roast pork, double or triple the recipe and roast by hanging the meat in several rows so that you always have some on hand.)

JEAN YUEH’S OVEN RACK METHOD: (Dim Sum & Chinese One-Dish Meals, © 1981, p. 48) Place one oven rack close to the top of the oven, another rack closes to the bottom. Fill a large roasting pan with 1/2 inch of water and place it on the bottom rack. (R’s note: Keep water to a miniumum, then save defatted pan drippings for a sauce.) Pull out the top rack, so it will be easier for hanging, and hang the other end of the hooks onto the rack. Space so pieces of meat do not touch each other. The meat also should not touch the water in the pan, and should not hang over the edges of the pan, so the pan can catch all the drippings and prevent smoking.

3. Roast the meat at 500°F for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to 400°F. Roast 30 minutes longer.

4. Baste meat with the syrup and bake 2–5 minutes more.

5. Let strips cool and firm up slightly, about 5 minutes Slice strips crosswise, on the bias, as for London Broil.

TO REHEAT COLD OR FROZEN ROAST PORK: Cut desired amount into slices. Do not slice before freezing or the meat will dry out. Place in an overlapping line in a snug shallow ovenproof dish. Pour a little (about 1/8-inch) meat or chicken stock over meat and heat in a 350°F oven or broiler until liquid is steaming, the interior of the meat is hot, the top surface is crisp. If you have no stock, season some water with soy and honey or syrup to taste.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS:

1. Char Siu Noodle (serve on fresh Chinese noodles)
2. In steamed buns
3. Sliced very thin on top of sliced cucumber or Boston lettuce
4. Roast Pork Almond Ding (“The Key to Chinese Cooking,” by Irene Kuo, page 345)
5. Yangchow Fried Rice (“The Key to Chinese Cooking,” by Irene Kuo, page 427)
6. Shredded into soups

** BEAN PASTE (SAUCE). This is a thick brown paste made from fermented soybeans, flour, and salt. It comes in two forms: the regular, which contains whole beans and which I prefer, and the ground, which is puréed and more widely available. The latter is slightly saltier, and if you buy it, use it with a little more sugar. A major seasoning agent of the northern and Szechuan schools of cooking, bean paste not only coplors the food and thickens the sauce, but also gives the dishes a distinctive flavor.
Bean paste comes in cans. Transferred to a covered jar, it keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator. To prevent the ground bean paste from drying out during long storage, add a little oil or dark sesame oil, stir well, and then refrigerate. Bean paste is frequently labeled sauce. — “The Key to Chinese Cooking,” by Irene Kuo, page 486.

— From a class taught by Tan Lee Chin Kemp

Another “10” recipe:

CHINESE ROAST PORK LOIN, KUO
(CHAR SIU)

This simple recipe covers the fundamentals of roasting meat. It is a Cantonese specialty and a basic ingredient for some dishes. Sliced, it is an ever-popular appetizer. Cut into various forms, it is used as the main ingredient for dishes that call for roast pork, such as Roast Pork Almond Ding, Yangchow Fried Rice, and Roast Pork and Bean Sprouts Lo Mein, etc. A common error in making Roast Pork is using salt in the marinade, which toughens the meat. Leery about chemicals, I substitute catsup for the traditional red food dye. It gives the meat a deeper color and thickens the marinade for better coating.

2 pounds boneless pork loin

MARINADE
3 tablespoons light (thin) soy sauce
2 tablespoons bean paste**
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons catsup
2 tablespoons pineapple or orange juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon malt sugar, honey, or Karo syrup
2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled, and coarsely chopped
Scant 1/2 teaspoon five-fragrance (five-spice) powder

Trim the meat of excess fat. Slice it lengthwise, with the grain, into strips about 2 inches wide, 1 inch thick, and 5 to 6 inches long. Place them flat in a shallow pan. Stir the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well blended and pour over the meat, rubbing it well into both sides. Cover and marinate for about 3 hours at room temperature, turning the strips a few times. You could also refrigerate the meat and bring it to room temperature before roasting, but it shouldn’t be marinated longer than 6 hours—prolonged soaking damages the firm texture.

Remove all the racks from your oven but the topmost one. Pour a few inches of water into a roasting or broiling pan and place it on the floor of the oven to catch the dripping and prevent smoking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Insert a meat hook, drapery hook, or even a bent strong paper clip into one end of each meat strip (1 hook per strip) and hook the strips onto the top rack over the drip pan in one line. (If you like roast pork, double or triple the recipe and roast by hanging the meat in several rows so that you always have some on hand.) Roast the strips for 1 hour. Then increase heat to 400 degrees and roast for 10 minutes more.

Remove meat and take out the hooks. Let the strips cool and firm slightly and then slice them crosswise, against the grain, to serve as an appetizer or main dish. The pork is good hot, at room temperature, or cold. It freezes well for months.

TO REHEAT COLD OR FROZEN ROAST PORK as an appetizer, cut the desired amount into slices and place them in an overlapping line in a snug shallow ovenproof dish. Pour a little meat or chicken stock over the meat (about 1/8 inch) and heat in a moderate oven or under a slow broiler until the liquid is steaming, the meat is hot inside, and the top surface is crisp. If you have no stock you could season some water with soy sauce and honey or syrup to taste.

** BEAN PASTE (SAUCE). This is a thick brown paste made from fermented soybeans, flour, and salt. It comes in two forms: the regular, which contains whole beans and which I prefer, and the ground, which is puréed and more widely available. The latter is slightly saltier, and if you buy it, use it with a little more sugar. A major seasoning agent of the northern and Szechuan schools of cooking, bean paste not only coplors the food and thickens the sauce, but also gives the dishes a distinctive flavor.
Bean paste comes in cans. Transferred to a covered jar, it keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator. To prevent the ground bean paste from drying out during long storage, add a little oil or dark sesame oil, stir well, and then refrigerate. Bean paste is frequently labeled sauce. — “The Key to Chinese Cooking,” by Irene Kuo, page 486.

— From “The Key to Chinese Cooking” by Irene Kuo, © 1977, p. 116.

Haven’t tried this yet, but the source is good.

CHINESE BARBECUED PORK, LO
(CHAR SIU)

The Chinese in Canton, where roasting pork is an art form, call this “char siu” which translates as “held by fork over fire.” It harks back to the times when there were few ovens in China, and all meats, marinated or not, were roasted over an open fire. This pork, with its glossy glaze, is what you see hanging in the windows of restaurants. Commercially this pork is colored with red vegetable dye. I do not dye my pork.
Char Siu is surely one of the most versatile preparations in China. It can be eaten hot or cold. It can be used in a stir-fry with other ingredients or as a filling for dumplings, put into soups, and it is often used as one of those small dishes in a bot dai, bot siu, “8 large, 8 small” banquet.

4 1/2 pounds lean boneless pork loin
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons Mei Kuei Lu Chiew or gin
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 1/2 cakes (1 1/2 ounces) wet (or red) preserved bean curd
1 teaspoon five-spice powder

1. Cut the pork into lengthwise strips 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Using a small knife, pierce the meat repeatedly at 1/2-inch intervals to help tenderize it.

2. Line a roasting pan with foil. Place the pork strips in a single layer at the bottom of the pan. In a small bowl, combine all the other ingredients and pour over the strips. Coat well and marinate for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

3. Heat the oven to broil. Place the roasting pan in the broiler about 4 inches from the heat and roast for 30 to 50 minutes. To test for doneness, remove one strip of pork after 30 minutes and slice it to see if it is cooked through. During the cooking period, the pork should be basted 5 or 6 times and turned over 4 times. If the sauce dries out, add some boiling water to the pan. When the meat is cooked, remove from the pan, allow to cool, and refrigerate until ready to use.

NOTE: Char Siu may be made ahead. It can be refrigerated for 4 to 5 days and frozen for a month. Allow to defrost before use.

— From “The Chinese Kitchen” by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo, © 1999, p. 124.

We eat Char Siu all the time...with my wife being Chinese and all.

Thing is, when we buy it at restaurants and shops in chinatown-- it's never smoked. Seems to be hung and baked with the big hog side for roast pork, ducks, etc. Not even the faintest hint of smoked flavor. I think it's just baked.

So trying it on the WSM will be interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

And how do they get that unnatural, neon red coloring to it? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Let us know those results.....

Henry Joe, most home cooks do not care to use the red dye. It doesn't contribute to the flavor, just eye appeal. This is from the text of the recipes above:

Commercially this pork is colored with red vegetable dye.

Leery about chemicals, I substitute catsup for the traditional red food dye.

Rita

Rita,

When I try this, I'll skip the red dye, too.

My wife and her family lived in Burma (now Myanmar) for years. They make this excellent Char Siu noodle dish similar to what was mentioned above.

- Chow mein noodles
- minced garlic oil (see note below)
- char siu, cut into small slices about 1/4 inch thick
- finely chppped green onion
- soy sauce
- about a teaspoon of sesame oil. Barely any.
- white pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish

boil up those chow mein noodles and shock them in cold water to halt the cooking.

Make some minced garlic oil -- about a 1/4 cup olive oil and about 6 cloves of chopped fresh garlic. Put on high heat and fry up garlic until light brown. Immediately take off heat AND REMOVE FROM HOT PAN. Let it cool in a bowl. The garlic will continue to darken a little. That's OK.

Combine noodles, char siu, green oinions, and seveal heaping spoonfulls of the minced garlic oil, getting lots of crunchy garlic bits in there. Also add the hint of sesame oil. Add soy and white pepper until it tastes right. And add as much Cilantro as you like. Serve room temp. Very simple and very good.

Oh boy! I can almost taste it. I love any type of Asian food and noodle dishes and enjoy making the fresh noodles too. I'm going to put this recipe right on my char siu page. Now I know where to go to find something really authentic.

Is there a special or classic name for this dish or just something like Char Siu Noodles?

Many thanks, Henry Joe, to you and your wife!
Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
Is there a special or classic name for this dish or just something like Char Siu Noodles?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Burmese, they call it..

See-Jet Kow Swoy

(See-Jet means garlic oil. It's a very typical ingredient and table condiment in Burmese cuisine. Kow Swoy means noodles. So roughly it means garlic oil noodles. Funny how they didn't mention the char siu!)

That's just what I was looking for. And the translation makes it even more interesting.

Thanks again /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif,
Rita

Hi Henry Joe. Have Char Siu. Can you make some suggestions for side dishes for the Char Siu Noodles, specifically vegetable dishes? We're big on Asian veggies here. Or maybe vegetables (snow peas, bean sprouts, baby corn, etc. that you might like to add to the mix to make it a one-dish meal? I can improvise, of course, but I'd like to hear what might be more authentic from one who would know.

Thanks,
Rita

Sorry, hope I'm not too late here.

As for the noodle dish, don't add anything. The simpler the better.

If you want a veggie side, steam up some rice and make one to accompany the noodles.

As for veggie sides, here are some thoughts. The first few are obscure, and you pretty much need an asian grocery store to find this stuff. The others you can buy stuff anywhere.

If you have an asian grocery, look for the following:

- letttuce stems. These are the stems of romaine lettuce plants. They look like a long green ugly carrot, with maybe a few stray romaine leaves on top. Peel it like a carrot, slice it on the bias, and stir fry it with some thin sliced carrots, garlic, onions, and perhaps a teeny bit of meat like ground pork or minced shrimp. Add a little soy sauce, oyster sauce, and corn starch and water mixture to thicken.

-Kohlrabi -- a turnip like thing you peel ( the skin is tough as nails and thick) then slice the rest thin. Prepare much the same way you do the lettuce stems above.

- pea greens or pea sprouts. These are either the leaves and vines from pea plants, after they take off the pea pods, or baby sprouts. both are delicoious. Stir fry with some garlic quickly in AN INSANELY HOT wok. the hotter the better, cuz they leak less water and will stir fry rather than braise. toss in a little salt at the end. Fesh hot chiles are optional. Iike red ones cuz they look better.

Other stuff you can buy anywhere:

- spinach. make it the same way as the pea greens I described above.

-tofu and green onions -- get a solid block of firm tofu. Cut it into little planks about 1/4 inch thick, 1 and a half inch wide by 2 or 3 inches long . Sear up both sides until golden. Then add soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch and water to thicken. Add 1-inch long green onion sections for the last 30 seconds or so, just to wilt them.

- tomato-mint-curry. Fry up some onions and garlic unil golden brown. Add some curry powder and some crushed red pizza peppers. Cook unitl your kitchen smells wonderful, about 20 seconds. Add about a tablespoon of asian fish sauce. Add a cup or two of fresh, very coasely chopped tomatoes. Big chunks are OK. Add some corn starch and water to thicken. Add some cilantro and fresh mint at the end just to wilt them.

Thank you, Henry Joe. We have a large and wonderful Asian community here in Atlanta, so finding ingredients shouldn't be a problem.

I just finished cooking a big Hong Kong style shrimp stir fry for dinner and now you have whetted our appetites even more for the next meal.

These suggestions sound soooooo goooood! Gonna try all the suggestions (well, maybe not all at once).

Many thanks!
Rita

Back