Weber Fireplace

Greetings. I just bought a Weber fireplace. I love how it looks. I was wondering if anyone uses their fireplace on a wood deck, and what they do to protect the wood?

I was going to put it up on 3" blocks to lift it off the deck, and put a grill mat underneath. Those things, along with the sand in the bottom and the heat shield, should be enough to keep it from getting too hot, maybe....?

Just curious what others do.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike, I have a WF butt it is not on the deck or near it.
The way I use it, I would be concerned about flying embers...
Here is my WF with an extension I made for it.
DSCN0452.jpg

The timbers I have surrounding the brick pavers are charred from embers that have fallen out.
Using sand in the bottom is certainly a must!

I like your setup better. I was thinking that the 'right' answer was to move the fireplace out into the yard. Something like you have, with the bricks, would look and work well.

Thanks for the reply.

mine is old and the pavers sank, so please do a better job than I did
icon_wink.gif

One of these days, i'll dig it out, and redo it properly.

Never had one of those. (yet..But i will for sure)

But if you gonna use it on a wooden deck i think a good idea is to add some fire bricks under it.

Or just do a test fire and se how mutch radiant heat comming of the bottom. I use my WSM on a deck with no problem.(heat shield takes it all)

Butt try it on the grass before so you dont have to spend extra $ redoing the deck. About the ambers i think a setup like Jim used is a good idea.

Mike, my theory is: grass/lawn is easier/cheaper to replace than a wood deck (attached to house you live in).

in other words, it's best to be safe than sorry.
smokey-the-bear-metal-sign.jpg

Back