Thai Green Curry Ribs

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
2 Sides of your favorite ribs (I used Baby backs)

Green Curry Rub
4 Whole Cloves
12 Black Peppercorns
2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
6 whole peeled garlic cloves
1 medium shallot peeled
3 whole serrano chiles, stemmed
3/4 c. fresh basil leaves
3/4 c. fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. flavorless cooking oil

Remove membrane from ribs.

Place cloves, peppercorns, coriander, caraway and cumin seeds in small skillet to toast. Cook until just beginning to smoke, shaking pan. Grind in an electric spice grinder to powder.

In Cuisinart, mince garlic, shallot and chiles. Remove processor top and add basil, cilantro and salt. Mince finely. With machine running, slowly add the oil until a paste is formed.

Coat ribs evenly on both sides with curry rub. Marinate overnite. Makes 1 cup.

I smoked ribs for 5 hours at 250.

Good morning Jane.

Your recipe sounds very good. What level of heat does the green curry and serano's impart?

Also, what smoke wood was used and did you baste the ribs during the cook?

Regards.

There wasn't much heat. What I've found, that since they are engineering chiles much milder these days, that serranos to me are very mild. I've quit using them for salsa, and use habaneros now. The last straw was when I made a salsa fresca with four tomatoes to 6 serranos, and there wasn't any heat!!! These were good sized chiles, too. I would suggest using 1/2 habanero for this recipe, depending on the size, and adding more if you would like it hotter. This rub makes 1 cup.

I used three small chunks of French Oak wine barrel wood, and one medium sized mesquite chunk.

Also, I didn't baste. I just stuck them on there and only open up the lid to add more water if necessary. The only time I baste is in the last 1/2 of cooking if I'm doing a BBQ sauce of some kind. You could certainly baste with this wet rub towards the end to add an extra dimension.

One more note. On your chiles, Thai bird or Indian long green are hot, and for this particular recipe, those would be preferential to the habanero, simply because of their flavor. I have had such a hard time finding chiles with any heat in the grocery store these days, as our taste has developed into a high level of heat. As you know, when you eat chiles with food, it reduces the amount of heat substantially. This is why I would suggest that you really fire it up in the making of this rub. This posted recipe is as written by Hugh Carpenter, and I always make it as written the first time. I then make changes after I know what I am working with.

Looks great Jane. I'm gonna try this.
Is this your all purpose thair green curry paste recipe? You use this for standard green curry dishes too, not just ribs?

Thanks!

No this is not my standard. It's just the first time I've ever made it, using things I already had on hand. Mind you, it wasn't very spicy, and my husband thought that you really couldn't taste the Thai after it was cooked, so I am suggesting to top with the marinade right before taking off the WSM, and use a more spicy chile. It is very tasty though. I used three racks from Costco for this, and we're eating them today. I don't care what you slather ribs with, they are always a favorite.

This one sound interesting... I would think that HAbs, with their flowery impact, would perhaps over-power? Then again, they do sweeten up when cooked. I have a garden full of tiger-Thais and Cayenne that are about due. I'll give them a go and report back. Ooops, time to go cover the peppers; rumors of frost. Arg.

-b

Back