Stoker Internet Connection

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard:
My only internet connection at home is thru an air card. Is there way to connect a stoker to an air card for remote acces? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose if the air card were connected constantly, you could run remote desktop from another computer and connect to your laptop. (not available on Windows XP home, not sure about Vista) You would have to make sure remote desktop is setup on your laptop, know the your computer's IP and make sure windows firewall does not block port 3389. D-Link makes a aircard router, don't know anything about it. The model number is DIR-450. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=524

Ken's solution is one. The other is to use a PC and use it as a router. It takes a bit of configuration but essentially, you set it up for Internet sharing. Hook up an ethernet cable to the stoker and the PC and you are good to go.

The only problem is that these cards tend to drop connections or get stuck. If you are not home and can't restart it, then it may not work.

As a funny aside, there used to be a nasty bug in stokerlog that would crash on one machine. The person was on the east coast. And I happen to be in Japan, in a remote island. My only Internet connection was an "air card" and from there I connected to his stoker on the other side of the world and managed to find the bug! It sure was strange to read the temprature in his house from 7000 miles away....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frank sledjeski:
Amir, Can you pointme to a post on how I would be able to view my stokerlog from a pc not on my network.

Thanks,
Frank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is a nice tutorial now on Rock's web site. Here is the link: http://www.rocksbarbque.com/Stoker_inet.pdf

I have not fully reviewed it but seems to do the job from my quick read. Ultimately, the actual process is specific to the router you have so you may have to do some investigation once you become familiar with the process through the above doc.

Frank,
That is what I have done it works great. you just need a crossover cable and a little configuring

The easiest thing is to set up static IP addresses for both. Say, 192.168.1.1 for your laptop and 192.168.1.88 for your stoker.

Next step up would be to have the laptop issue IP addresses to the stoker but I don't see any advantage to that.

In all casese, it is good to have a static IP address for the stoker anyway. That way, you can always connect to it with the same address.

sorry, I am missing something. Here is the situation.

Let's say I have no internet connection on my laptop and I plug the stoker into the laptop via a cable. I turn on the stoker and the ip comes up as all 0's.

I am not sure how to "see" the stoker on my laptop. I tried the rocks tutorial, but it makes no sense. i feel like I am missing something easy!

The stoker by default expects some other device to give it an IP address. Your laptop by default, wants to do the same thing!

So you simply need to tell each one what their IP address is. Go the stoker menu and give it a number like 192.168.1.88. Then you need to do the same in your laptop (turn off "DHCP/Get IP address automatically"). Just use 192.168.1.1 for that.

No internet connection is necessary for any of this.

Does this get you closer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frank sledjeski:
I am not sure how to "see" the stoker on my laptop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank, pardon me if I am being too obvious... To see the Stoker on your computer, open your browser program (Internet Explorer is the one used by Windows, Safari is the browser used by Apple computers) and then type the IP address of the Stoker into the URL field (assuming you followed Amir's advice above and set the IP addresses). If you have connected the Stoker to the laptop correctly and if you have configured the IP addresses correctly, you should see a web page that is the Stoker's built-in setup screen.

I was messing something up, but I can now see the stoker on my laptop when connected directly to the stoker...i guess i have a static stoker id now.

one last question tonight. I assume I will need to reconfigure my wireless bridge with the new static ip. That is an adventure for tomorrow.

Oh, you didn't tell us you have a bridge between them. I think we all thought you had just hooked up a cable between the laptop and stoker.

Before doing anything, can you please explain fully how you have everything hooked up including the bridge, laptop and stoker?

So i normally have a wireless beidge running from the stoker to my home pc/laptop. The reason I wanted to go direct connect with the stoker is for the times I have to go somewhere with the egg where there is no internet. So I guess I was wondering if there is a way to have it work via bridge and direct connect or do I have to change settings

It works both ways. For going direct, see the previous posts. You need to figure out how on your PC to assign a static IP address. And do the same on stoker.

For going through the bridge, no change is necesary on the bridge. Look up the IP address that is usually being assigned to your stoker and pick a number much larger than that. That is, if you see 192.161.1.5, pick 192.161.1.88. That way, no other machine by accident will be assigned the same number.

From then on, use the above number to talk to stoker. You would do the same if you took the laptop and stoker with you somewhere else. In that case, you would simply need to change your laptop to have a static IP address. When you get home, you need to change this back to being automatic.

Back