Minnesota > Champlin: Q Fanatic

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
This place was featured on Diners, Drive In's, and Dives a while ago. I tried it yesterday for the first time and here's my report.

Brisket: Probably my favorite. Nice smoke flavor and very moist. Grade: A.

Pulled Pork: Also very good. Less smoke flavor than I like but very juicy and tasty. Grade: A-

Pulled Chicken: Same as the pulled pork. Quite good. Grade: A-

Spare Ribs: These disappointed me. The smoke flavor wasn't really there and they just didn't look that appetizing. The rub was ok but nothing spectacular. Grade: C.

Sides: I had fresh cut fries, mac and cheese, creamy cole slaw, and bbq beans. I'll reserve judgement on the mac and cheese since it endured a 40 minute car ride home smashed into a take out container. It was ok but probably much better in the restaurant. The rest were excellent with the bbq beans being my favorite. Lots of good smokey flavor with plenty of brisket chunks mixed in. The sandwich rolls were excellent as well. Great garlic smell and flavor. Definitely a winner. Grade: A.

Sauces: I had the pepper vodka and espresso sauces on the side. Both were excellent. The pepper vodka sauce has lots of kick which I like but in small doses. The espresso sauce was mild with lots of flavor. I was very pleased with both of them. Grade: A.

Overall, I give Q Fanatic an A-. The ribs get very good reviews so they must be doing something right. I'll certainly try them again hoping for a better experience. The staff is very friendly and the prices are reasonable. I'll definitely recommend them to others.

www.qfanatic.com

Glad I didn't judge the ribs based on the first visit. Today's ribs were much better. Very juicy. Everything else was just as good as the first trip.

Highly recommended.

They are very close to where I work and this is where we splurge. Sometimes it's free when we trade with the owner for equipment rental.

My go to is the Quban sandwich. Sooo outstanding. Also, don't forget to spoil yourself and get the slab of bacon. Repeat, get the bacon. I've never had anything like it.

Back