Cluck's Chili Pride

Dave Cluck

TVWBB Fan
Chili. MmmmmMmm. Mmm! MmmMmmMmm. You know what I'm talkin' about, and fall/winter is coming up soon so here's my contribution. This originally was my father's competition chili recipie from 20 years ago that I've since tweaked a bit in recent years. God rest his soul.
icon_smile.gif

INGREDIENTS
===========
3 lbs chili meat OR ground beef
1 lb sausage (for chili I prefer a mild blend)
6 slices of bacon
6-8 tbl chili powder
1 small can of tomatoe paste
1 tbl ground oregano
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl salt
1 tbl cayenne pepper
4 large garlic cloves minced
5-6 fresh jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
1 medium onion finely chopped
1.5 quarts of of water
1 bottle of beer

* You can use virtually any meat you like in chili, but my dad used 6 lbs of sirloin or chuck roast cut into 1" cubes in place of the 4 lbs listed above.

* As with everything else make an effort to use the freshest spices you can find. It REALLY does make a world of difference.

INSTRUCTIONS
============
* Fry the bacon and remove from pan
* Brown meat in bacon grease
* Drain excess grease once it's all been browned
* Add onion and garlic to the meat and saute it for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
* Add everything in together, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
* Cook an additional 1 hour uncovered to reduce and make sure it stays bubbling ever so slightly.

This is Texas chili, so the receipie doesn't call for beans anywhere near the chili.
icon_wink.gif
But if you must, you can add anything you like. Best served with cold beer, sweet cornbread and a good hockey game (don't want to hear about football, thanks!)

Njoi!

~Dave

Yer on, Dave...Gonna try this for sure! Butt!!!There ain't gonna be no hockey this year so FOOTBALL IT IS
icon_biggrin.gif
(sorry, just had to
icon_razz.gif
)

icon_frown.gif

And it's attitudes in professional sports like we're seeing in the NHL right now that turned me off of pro football. :sigh: At least we have some good minor league teams in the area to keep me going for the next 6 - 24 months..

Let me know how you like the chili, Bill.

~Dave

Dave:

Find it hard to believe, only 1 bottle of beer in the recipe. Should be at least two more for lubication purposes, NO?
icon_wink.gif

Dave, for years I made chili with ground beef and cheater ingredients...."chili beans" and the like. Since haven been on this site, I have cranked it up and made some much better chili.

Chuck trimmed bite size is so much better than ground meat! Your recipe is very similar to some I have researched. I will give it a try.
Thanks for sharing. Forgive me for adding the beans...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Forgive me for adding the beans... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Three Hail Keris.
icon_wink.gif

Back