Basic Pork and Beans

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
My old way was a combination of canned pork and beans, worchestershire, onion, powdered mustard, green pepper...not bad when baked.

Today I kept it very simple. Pork and beans (Harris Teeter in the Bushes Best style), pork butt bark and, some rub. I had never used such an obvious combination. They went back for two and three servings.

That sounds good. You're getting some real pork in there instead of that disgusting lump of fat that comes in each can. I wonder how they get away with calling them "pork and beans."

Steve, you probably keep a bag or two of pulled pork in your freezer. Try throwing some of that in with a big ol can Bushes, and a little bbq sauce, bacon, and chopped onion. Let it go low and slow, or even smoke em under a butt in the WSM, man that's good stuff. You'll find yourself adding more and more pork each time!

Gotta agree w/ the pork butt. I did this the other day w/ Bushes, 1# of pork but, some rub and maple syrup. Good stuff. Gonna get me a Lodge cast iron dutch oven for beans under the butt!!! Can't wait to try!!

I like adding a little chorizo (maybe 1/4-1/3 pound) per 16 oz can of Busch's, along with the worchestershire, onions, garlic powder, and brown sugar.

Trevor

Back