Brisket w/ Garlic

EricDevlin

TVWBB Member
Hi!

So, I usually cook my brisket pretty much the way it's usually smoked for comps. I trim, inject, rest, pat dry, rub and smoke.

I was cooking (casual) w/ a friend a while back and when the brisket was ready (early) we decided to vent it and throw it in the cooler.

We did one thing different in crushing a few cloves of garlic and keeping them in the foil w/ the brisket.

I didn't think that there would be much of a flavor difference, but it was fantastic.

I'm thinking about doing this for comps and maybe including slices of vidalia onions as well. My concern is that the flavor moves from the realm of BBQ brisket and into the realm of pot roast.

Any thoughts?

Eric

While I am a garlic fanatic (no such thing as too much garlic), be careful getting close to that 'pot roast' flavor. I know when I judge I hear over and over that people don't go for the pot roast type taste. It sounds like judges are coming back around to basic 'beefy' flavor brisket, more of a Texas style brisket. Simple salt/pepper/maybe a bit of garlic type rub and served/boxed basted with Au Jus.

I have to admit, tasting a perfectly cooked brisket where the rub just helps a little bit with flavor rather than overpowers it and not sauced to death, is some pretty darn good brisket.

Russ

Thanks Russ!

I guess it's another thing that needs some experimentation.

The first event that we are doing for the year has a 5th category that doesn't count towards overall and isn't rewarded in any way. It's just an opportunity for cooks to turn in something that they are experimenting w/ to see how judges would score it.

I think I'll try it there.

Eric

Back