Pork Cracklins

m raschko

TVWBB Member
I've been inspired by this forum to try my hand at bacon, so I got myself a pork belly. The butcher offered to slice off the skin for me so I took him up on it. Then he asked if I wanted the skin to make cracklins. Sure I said thinking that there would be a recipe in the Charcuterie book... But I don't think there is. I've found a couple courtesy of Bing, but I thought I'd ask for advice here. Anyone have words of wisdom for me?

Thanks in advance,
-Michael

I have never done a propper crackling on the kettle/wsm. But i have done it in my oven(still on the roast)

My grandfater(Requiescat in pace) always did this when i was a kid,maby to give us something to fight about.

But if i ever got a peice it was heaven!

But i have no advice "how to" in a grilling senario.

I've made them by smoking them for several hours on the WSM. Very tasty, but they do not swell much.

If you deep fry them, let the skin rest in salty water in the fridge overnight. Dry well, and fry.

It's easier to make the skin swell/go large and crisp if there's no fat on the skin.

Thanks guys! I wasn't necessarily planning to do them on the weber, but was just looking for advice/instruction in general.

Just throw them in a fry pan either with lots of fat attached otherwise add some.

Go to a real Mexican supermercado to the back of it, in the butcher section, and have a real close look at their chicharones, a great step above cracklins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I think you need to cut it into strips and deep fry it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave is right. You cut them into small strips and deep fry them. Then salt them when they come out of the oil.

Back