Rib roast or turkey???

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
what is w/ all the rib roast advertising at the grocery? I've grown up w/ nothing but turkey for christmas but is the very popular choice rib roast? I realize the choice is personal but curious if the rib roast is really that popular

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but curious if the rib roast is really that popular </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is. Especially among people who have had turkey at Thanksgiving. I'm in that camp. I usually do a fresh ham for Christmas. If unavailable (they sometimes are) I do a rib roast.

David,

We are thoroughly turkey people at Thanksgiving, and equally thoroughly rib roast people at Christmas. We don't do rib roast any other time of the year, so that makes the meal at Christmas all the more special, just like turkey on Thanksgiving. I start my roast dry aging tomorrow!

We do turkey and ham at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year we'll have a smoked and baked version of each for Christmas.

My BNL is my arch nemesis when it comes to cooking. I'm the redneck with the outdoor cooking gig and he's more the "Chef" in the kitchen type. Now this has only been going on for 36 years with ups and downs on both sides. Since purchasing the Mighty WSM, he's been hard pressed to win.

Oh yeah, he's good with side dishes and such but when it it gets down to the meat, he pulls the "Standing Rib Roast" card.

I let the empty plates do the talking. With the Mighty Big Easy oil less turkey fryer, It wins hands down every time even with his 3 sons. They just say, "Sorry Dad".

He's doing another one this year. Oh Well
icon_wink.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL!

T Bounds, care to share details of your dry aging process. We do rib roast also at Christmas. They are fun to cook and more fun to eat.

Rib Roast for Christmas just seems more celebratory somehow. Might be the only one I do each year. I do several turkeys throughout the year, they seem to feel a bit more everyday ordinary.

Back home we did tamales! i am more of a turkey for Christmas feel type, but my family actually prefers a ham. i was thinking of doing a rib roast, but never made one and wouldnt want to mess up Christmas dinner.

Back