Butane Lighters

I don't know about you guys, but one of the most infuriating things about outdoor cooking has to be the very, very poorly built lighters many of us use to start the fire.

I can't tell you how many of these "refillable" lighters I've purchased, most of them in the $4-$8 price range; a few a bit more.

Cheap, right? Except they have been without exception one, or two or perhaps three-use devices. Then they literally self destruct. The worst one has to be the one with the red handle and black tube-a BIC, I think. A truly worthless one-use disposable--even at three bucks, a total rip-off.

Anyway, I bought a BernzOmatic today for maybe $6. Has a flexible nozzle, GREAT flame, and seems rather well built compared to the others. I know these guys make good stuff in the soldering torch area, so maybe this one will actually work for a month.

The parade of extremely crappy lighters I've had over the last 10+ years has been a pet peeve of mine, so I'm hoping this one works out.

If anyone knows where I can buy a Rolls Royce lighter up to maybe $50, I'd love to hear it!

Chris

I bought Zippo's long lighter, I think for a bit over $20. It works great and is completely refillable. It's the way to go, and will save money in the long run.

Chris,
Hate to rain on your charcoal but I didn't have much luck with the Benzomatics that I tried. And I tried 3-4 of them. I've had the best luck with Scripto. I was at the Williams=Sonoma store in the outlet mall recently and picked up one of their lighters. It has to be filled before you use it so that's a downer. But,it was on for 1/2 price so it was only $1.50! Plus is that it has no "child-proof" locking device(I don't have any children around). Just push the buttona nd it lights. Not very windproof but few of them are. My wife is a kitchen match person!

I have to admit, I hate those lighters too, but I've never been motivated enough to find something better. This thread motivated me!

Anybody ever seen this one, Colibri Stilleto

Seems pretty decent for the price.

Todd

EDIT: and it looks like TARGET carries it, I might have to stop and check one out.

I use this one to light my charcoal - propane torch

Hasn't failed me yet!
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow! You guys have some serious options there.

I used the Bernzomatic today, and was fairly pleased. The child-proof thing was a pain, but when I got past that, it cranked out a great flame and did the job with ease. The only problem was the flame was invisible, so hard to know if it is lit or not until the target lights.

No way to know how long this thing will last, but while it does, its probably the best unit I've used to date.

Chris

huh, i buy the cheapy dollar stuff, especially on sale. they will last a long time for me. havn't had any reason to buy a more expensive one. the one i'm using now is a year old.

Todd,
I have a Zippo brand lighter that looks similar to the Colibri. I got it for lighting candles in the house. Mostly because it looks nice. Works well BUT the "child/adultproof" function makes it almost a 2 ahnd move. So I rarely use it. Be sure to try them out before you buy.

i missed this post somehow. colibri makes the best little lighters in my opinion. owned two for years and years cause i smoke (unfortunatly) plus there like little blow torches. pricey... yes my particular ones were, but if you use the RECOMMENDED fuel for them no problem, plus guaranteed for life. my friend also dropped on in a lake.. no problem. just never use the butane in the little red and white bottles you see everywhere. i use some wierd brand name i cant recall but it says over and over "filtered three times!!" like its somethin special,
icon_smile.gif
. but ya you wont regret it, promise.
edit: honestly the little plastic "bic" brand are pretty tough I thought. they last a long time for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only problem was the flame was invisible, so hard to know if it is lit or not until the target lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

use your ears, it has a sound like a mini jet engine when its ignited. Used mine since december, still works well. I'm almost out of fuel, now I got to remember where I put the refill

I ordered that Colibri Stilleto yesterday and got an email today that it shipped. I didn't order any butane refills, so hopefully it comes with a little gas in it. But, there's a few good cigar stores around that I like to hit up, so we'll get her fueled up and I'll let you guys know how it works.

Interesting comment from Dan H about the butane gas, I've had 2 or 3 of these torch lighters before (standard ones) because they work so great on lighting up cigars, but they would eventually die on me and maybe it was because they were clogged.

None of the ones I bought were ever very expensive, not like the $50 or $100 ones I see at the cigar stores, I refuse to pay that out of my own pocket for a lighter. I'll make sure to fill up the cobri with some filtered butane and we'll see what happens. It will be nice to use it camping in a couple weeks.

Todd

yes todd. i personally cant explain how the fuel is somehow "dirty" or whatever but I discovered that to truly be the problem. by the way thats a good looking one jerry posted there also. Mine are similar. I understand the cost thing also todd. and not to worry the quality as far as working is probably (im sort of guessing but have faith because of mine) just the same. there not to bad if you don't engrave your name on them or anything like that, lol.
icon_biggrin.gif

edit: i dug it out and its "Vector premium gas" yellow lettering etc. and its filtered 5X not 3.. (supposedly, but it is very good stuff.) hope it helps, enjoy the stogies

I can relate will the original post...the $3-$5 dollar lighters just don't last very long, especially if the wife uses it light the 47 candles she has in the house. This is the time of year to go to your local super store and check the lawn and garden center. I got some Bic aim n' flames for $1.25 each the other day...stock up!!!

I use a MAPP torch, works great, and every time! And, unlike propane, you can hold it upside down and still get flame

yes, I love the MAPP torch as well, great for lighting the chimney up when I don't feel like getting the turkey fryer going
icon_smile.gif
But, I don't like to take it with me traveling. I just get nervous that something will happen, hence why I keep a few of these grill lighters around.

Got the Colibri yesterday. Can't say enough about the elighters company, quick processing and quick shipping.

However, the lighter is not what I thought it was going to be. I'm sure it will work fine, just wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be heavy duty and solid. It's all plastic, kinda cheap feeling, flimsy almost.

I thought it was a torch lighter, it's not, just normal butane flame.

Bummer. My fault, should have went and checked it out locally first.

Todd

That jet-flamed flexible shaft Bernz-O lighter is nice, but it's overkill for my needs.

I picked up a steal of a deal at Walgreens on a variety 3-pack of those long necked lighters for $5. I should have bought 2 packs.

Each pack had 3 different lighters
traditional
flexible shaft
jet-flamed

FWIW, I've never had any problems with the $1 cheapo long-necked lighters.

Back