New 22.5 WSM and I smoked a pig and a butt!

Mauricio Valdez

TVWBB Member
I just received my new 22.5" WSM on June 17th and I smoked a 30lb suckling pig and a 9 lb pork butt on the June 20th! First Smoke Ever! It was a complete success!!!!

Weber Smokey Mountain Rocks!!! -

Mauricio

pigwsm.JPG

Mauricio, that suckling pig looks amazing. do you have any pics of the finished product?

That's really showing off the capacity of the 22"...

First smoke ever??! You are the poster boy for the ease of use of teh WSM! That looks awesome!

Being a rookie...I realize that I need to work on presentation. Here is a picture of the final product. I wasn't too happy with how it looked but being my first time, I wasn't sure what to expect. It may not look that enticing, but once I took the skin off and pulled the pork meat the results were impressive! I was very pleased for my first experience.

final.JPG
Mauricio

Thanks for all of the comments! I'm inspired! This picture was taken early morning on the next day when I was wondering if I had over smoked my pig and butt. That morning we had some wind, and rain. No lie it was a scare as the temperatures started dropping fast. It was a true challenge with the early morning weather conditions.

nextmorning.JPG

I'm so glad I saw this. I was just trying to figure out how big of a suckling pig I could fit on my WSM as it seemed like a fun thing to cook. It doesn't appear many people have actually tried it although there are hundreds out there that will tell you it doesn't work based of what they read from someone else who didn't try it.

I've seen headless & legless sucklings done on 22's before, want to try one this summer. That sucker looks great.

Oh man THIS is what ive been asking around for!

And you CAN do a whole hog on the wsm. This post my friend is SUPER.

I will do a hog in the summer for my kids birthday party. Any hint´s/tips?

How long did it take?
What temp?
Did you inject the pig?

AWSOME POST Mauricio!
icon_smile.gif

Well there ya go.

Your post just might get some of them Carolina boys to pull the trigger on a jumbo wsm pig cooker.

wsmsmile8gm.gif
Heerrre Piggy, Piggy

that's kinda how the original 26.75 came about. George stephen got a pig and thought.. ok.. it should be about this big.

This is pretty cool. Just FYI, was poking around at local suppliers and one in Philly mentions whole pigs from 15 to 300 lb. I'm thinking a 15lb would fit nicely on an 18.5 WSM? Anyone try one on a smaller WSM? Else do a whole loin as an option or remove some parts as mentioned above.

For whole lamb they mention fresh lambs at 15-75 lb also.

At these sizes wondering if I could load one up on the EZ que rotis in my Performer....

I've never done it but it's an intriquing idea.

Since the one on the 22" is 30lb, I too would think that one at 15lb would fit on the 18".

I wonder if those suppliers can tell you what the nose-to-tail length is?

Hey Travis - I'll probably check it out. One of the suppliers in down in Little Italy in Philly. So pretty convenient to me. The other one looks like they sell wholesale, but one of the butchers I uses them as a supplier. Also want to check if I can get leaf lard from them.

Hmmmm ...

That 30lb piglet seems to be taking up about half of the circumference of the grate on the 22".

Knowing the length of a piglet will let us guestimate if it will fit either size WSM or Kettle.

Circumference = Pi * Diameter

C = 3.14 * 17 (allowing for lid clearance)
C = 53.4"
Half C = 26.7"

So if a piglet measures less than 27" nose-to-tail, it should fit on an 18".

Back