Prop open door

John, I did the door screw mod, (mentioned above)
well woth it, Only problem aI just found was if your hot and try to add the bottem grate, its a few more screws to get past, but no big deal, If you run the door upside down, its a non issue, and a lot of adjustments as far as temp goes.

I will cook a meatloaf at high heat today.

Came up with a piece of wood, correct length, will use a screw to prop open door as needed. Will propably do the screw mod when I get time.

Thanks All

John

When you do the screw modification, can you still assemble cooker with the door shut, either upright or inverted? Or will the door always be proped open? I've not ben clear about that.
Thanks for any info!

Brad

I think with the screw mod you can still close the door if you want, at least I hope so. Hopefully someone will tell us a liitle more about that.

I just complete my high heat meatloaf cook, came out great, using a piece of wood and a few small scews to prop the door open. Man you can really get the temps to go up with the door proped open a little bit. When the temp got higher than I wanted I just closed the vent covers a little to fine tune the temps. i want to do he screw mod, if you can then still close the door for normal operation.
John

Indeed with my screw mod you will notice no difference what so ever to the weber. The door functions like it always has... Closed most of the time in either up or down positions. I happen to keep my door up side down at all times but that don't matter either. Up side down, right side up, it's just two screws in the door.

On the rare high heat cook, I have the ability to use the screw mod. It has worked GREAT so far...

Lonnie, Thank you for the info! As I was looking at your original post, I just could not wrap my head around the idea of the door being able to be closed, and not proped open all of the time.
All of these little aids, just make Q'en more fun!

Leave the lid off by about a 1/4" works better as the heat rises to the top cooking grate giving you an accurate grate temp verses waiting for the door to be closed and then waiting on the WSM to settle in to it's temp. Try it sometime. No mods involed and you can watch your lid thermo on when it's time to place the lid back on right.
icon_wink.gif
So you prop open the door, and all the heat hits the bottom of the water pan, clay saucer, etc. and just rolls on out that open door. Think about it.
icon_wink.gif

I'm a little confused. For high heat cooks with the double foiled water pan in, do you cook with the lid off by a 1/4 inch for extended periods of time ? Yesterday when i cooked the meatloaf, my temp with all vents open was about 335-340. i proped open the door about a 1/4 inch and the temp went to 375, then I closed the vent covers just a little and the temp went to 350 ish and stayed there. i cooked for over an hour like that was that wrong ? I'm trying to learn the right way to ue my new to me WSM. Any info appreciated. Thanks John

Bryan.....Thanks, I'll try the off-set lid method 1st., knowing that I can always do the screw mod later.

John.....I think what Bryan is saying, is that with an off-set lid, you can watch your lid temps on the lid thermo, then re-set the lid at the exact temperature that you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
John.....I think what Bryan is saying, is that with an off-set lid, you can watch your lid temps on the lid thermo, then re-set the lid at the exact temperature that you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, I start out with the leftover coals from the previous cook which usually is not very many lit. So I leave the lid off by about a 1/4" to get the WSM up too temp. The nice thing about using the lid off slighty is yes, you just watch the lid thermo and place the lid back on right when you are close to your target temp. My WSM runs cold, so I don't worry about it over shooting. If I'm wanting to cook at 350 top grate temp, then I'll put the lid on right at 340º-350º really doesn't matter much. You might want to put it back on 25º or more degrees before your target temp. I have to leave all vents wide open and after an hr or so, I'll have to move the lid back off a little again, because my temps will be dropping down. Like I said, my WSM runs cold. You'll figure out waht yours likes the more you cook on it. HTH

Back