Bigwheel's Jalepeno Brats

Brian L.

TVWBB Super Fan
These brats are totally awesome, taste great and pack quite a kick. Big Wheel posted this on another public forum so I doubt he minds that I post it here. You can put the cheese in, but I left it out this time at least.

I would recomend using a scale, you can get a good electronic scale at Bed,Bath and Beyond for about 25-30 bucks. You'd be suprised at how often you start using it. Grinding your own meat and making sausage can be as addicting as BBQ. I even started grinding my own hamburger! If you grind your own burger, try putting some pork fat in there, it's good!

One note on grinding meat here. Keep it AS COLD AS POSSIBLE! I can't stress that enough. If you don't keep the meat cold enough the fat will just mash up instead of being cut in little peices and you won't like the final texture. What I do is this. I cube up the meat, then chill it in the freezer, not to frozen, just to get a good chill on it. Then I do a course grind, add the spices and chill it again. Then I fine grind, chill again, and stuff. If I don't stuff I don't chill the 3rd time.

Anyway, back to the brats, these are kinda spicey, so feel free to play with the hot ingriedients, less or more depending on how hot you like it
icon_redface.gif
. I like to use natural hog casings for this, just stuff it and twist when it's about the right length for brats, about 8 to twelve inches, depending on how big you like your sausage
icon_wink.gif

This stuff is going fast, I need to make more pretty soon, can't wait!

*Bigwheels's Prize Wininng Cheesey Jap Sausage Version 2
*(With some help from Papa Robert and DRPacker
icon_smile.gif

18 lbs. boneless pork butt
2 lbs fresh japs seeded and blanched
1 lb Kraft super hi-melt Old English Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh garlic from the jar
3 T. granulated garlic
7 T. Tender Quick
3 T. black pepper
4 T. white pepper
3 T. cayenne pepper
2 T. brown sugar
3 ground bay leaves (grind with the black pepper)
3 T. parsley
6 T. hungarian paprika
1 T. basil leaves
2 T. dried parsley
1 T. hab powder
7 oz beer (Michelobe Ultra belonging to the warden)
12 oz sprite
12 oz water
Run japs and cheese through coarse plate and set aside. Mix all other
ingredients with the the liquids and refrigerate while you cut the meat to fit the grinder. Dump spiced liquid over the meat mix well and grind on the fine plate. Add japs and cheeese to the meat and mix well..and mix some more. Stuff into med hog guts.

Susan
Try the local butcher that makes sausage, they can supply you with casings. Cheese, maybe a little harder to find, it comes in jars the last time I saw it.
Great looking recipe.
Jim

You can also get hog casings from Joe Ames at:
www.theingredientstore.com
I get the ones packed in salt, you can take out what you need and keep the rest in the fridge. As for the cheese, I don't know. Might try to find a high end grocery store or a fancy cheese shop. I bet there is a good cheese shop around DC.

Hey Jim, I saw your Andouille recipe in the June issue of Chile Pepper, I'm gonna try that next time I make sausage.

The notion of hi-melt cheddar sent me on a little web search. I even went to the Kraft web site and found no mention other than recipes on message boards. This might be a tough item to find.

I did find one mention of substituting sharp cheddar and reducing the quantity by half. The sidebar suggested that a one-for-one substitution resulted in a texture that was unsatisfactory.

Thanks for the great recipie. I have been making sausage for four year now and I will add this to my collection. My only question is why tender quick as I have not seen this in "fresh" recipies yet? Is this so vital that if I omit this will it fail?

George
That does seem like a lot TQ, a 2 1/2 Tbsp would be more than enough unless your were going to cold smoke.
You may want add some salt if you cut back on the TQ.
Jim

http://www.butcher-packer.com/
I order some chedder cheese from for summer sausage. Quick turn around on the order can buy a 1 lb or 5 lbs. I went with the 5 because of the cost factor added to shipping. I was totally happy with them and ther eproduct. Casings will probably be available thru them allso.

I made these sausages a while ago, and made 2 changes. I used regular cheddar, and i roasted my jalapenos first...they were goooooooood!

jason

Back