Contemplating a Stoker – Questions

Chuck R

TVWBB Fan
I have been reading about the Stoker for the last nine hours and know that I WANT ONE OF THOSE! I’m looking at buying the Stoker for my WSM and want to use the Stokerlog (if it works with Windows based system) on my laptop using my home wireless, BUT, I’m not a Brain Sturgeon and am afraid I may not have the knowledges to figure out how to hook everything up, let alone determine if my system is compatible with this. I haven’t a clue what you guys are talking about with terms/functions like game adaptors, WEP encryption, bridges, how to find IP addresses, SSID, etc. With my lap top (a Dell running some kind of Windows system but the tag has rubbed off so I don’t know which one, maybe XP?), I turn it on in the morning, it connects to my wireless internet and I navigate where I want to go. Does the Stoker and/or StokerLog come with adequate instructions for clueless idiots like me to figure things out? If it doesn’t, are there people at Stoker or StokerLog (Amir?) or the forum that have the patience to “walk me through it”, or would you suggest I just forget the whole thing?

To make this work, assuming lap top compatibility, it sounds like I need a “bridge” (which I assume is an electronic sending/receiving unit?) connected to the Stoker by a cable (which means I need to have electricity close to plug into, and some way to prevent it all being shorted out by rain?). Then the Stoker communicates with the “bridge” which communicates with something in my “GE Smart Connection Center” (2WIRE226?) up in the closet, which communicates with my lap top which runs StokerLog? Or can the Stoker communicate directly with whatever is in my “GE Smart Connection Center”?

Is a Dell 1184 Wireless Broadband Router Model WX-6215D a “bridge”? I have this left over from my old house. Would it communicate with a 2WIRE2267?

Chuck - I am by no means an expert at this but I'm going to give you my feedback. I don't use a bridge, I just use an old wireless router and connect my Stoker to it (both are located outside near the smoker -- but out of the weather). This means, I can connect to this wireless router from my laptop, but I cannot also be connected to my main wireless router in the house that has my normal internet connection -- I would need a wireless bridge for the Stoker to do that.

An even more straight-forward approach is just to run a cat5 cable out to your smoker with the Stoker located nearby. Then connect the other end of the cat5 cable to your laptop and just be "hard wired" to the Stoker -- no routers required.

This was how I started out when I first got my Stoker -- but the wife got a little tired of stepping over the cat5 wire running across the floor in the living room and meaning the back door had to be left partially open. But it worked!

There are some headaches in setting up everything, but the good people on this forum will be able to help you out. When you do finally get everything working, you'll never know how you ever lived without it.

I take my wireless setup with me to comps - I leave the laptop in my RV and can monitor everything occasionally when I wake up during the night while the butts and briskets are cooking away.

Chuck, Steve has all the right advice. Folks here are quite helpful and we have managed to walk everyone to success.

I suggest when you get started, hook up the stoker to a cable inside your house. Then get it to talk to my program or the browser. The way it ships, it does not need any configuration. Just that "ethernet" cable to your router. Once you have that working, then we can talk you through wireless set up.

Steve and Amir,

Thank you both for the advice. I think I’ll make the plunge and order the Stoker. I’ll start off with the cable to get started but will want to go wireless when I figure the Stoker and StokerLog out. I will want to be able to use the internet at the same time I monitor StokerLog so I should order a bridge? I gather from Steve’s post that my old router isn’t a bridge and can't be used with when I am also on the internet?

Amir,

When you say “hook up the stoker to a cable inside your house” do you mean run a cat5 cable from the Stoker to my lap top? That would be easy as that would mean less than 20’ of cable. Is your latest version on page 13 of the “StokerLog Version 5 Preview” thread, StokerLog5Test2 ?

As I see it, to get the Stoker up and running with your program, I should order the Stoker Basic System Plus (if I want a food probe also), and, for a cleaner hookup, two BBQ Guru eyelets to run the sensor cables, the StokerLog download, and a 20’ cat5 cable. Then, to get started on a wireless hookup, a wireless bridge and a short cat 5 cable to hook the Stoker to the bridge.

Do you have a recommendation for a bridge? If not, would something like a Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge, 802.11g, for $59 on Amazon, be adequate?

Again, thanks a lot.

Chuck

I will want to be able to use the internet at the same time I monitor StokerLog so I should order a bridge?
No, that (wanting to access the Internet at the same time) has no impact on the situation but see answer to your question below.

Amir,

When you say “hook up the stoker to a cable inside your house” do you mean run a cat5 cable from the Stoker to my lap top? That would be easy as that would mean less than 20’ of cable.
That is one way to do it but will not work automatically so I don't suggest it. My assumption which may be wrong is that your current wireless router has a "switch" built into it. If you look on the back of it, do you see 4 jacks where a Cat-5 cable can be plugged in, just like the one that is going to your current Internet provider? If so, you would connect the stoker cable to one of those. Since you will be using the stoker inside to play with, any length cable would work.

If you use the above scheme, no configuration is necessary. Stoker will work right away and you can access the Internet at the same time.

If you however, connect it as you say, you can no longer access the Internet since your PC will only talk to stoker. And you would need to make some changes to your PC. So this is NOT a recommended route. We only suggest this to people who try to use their laptop outside with the stoker, say, in a competition. Otherwise, I can't think of any good reason to do it.

Is your latest version on page 13 of the “StokerLog Version 5 Preview” thread, StokerLog5Test2 ?
I think so. But I updated the first page to have the proper link. So just go there and download whatever you see there.

Do you have a recommendation for a bridge? If not, would something like a Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge, 802.11g, for $59 on Amazon, be adequate?

Again, thanks a lot.
I am not up on the model numbers for these. Ken I think has had good recommendations in the past in other threads. I personally used a standard wirless router but could not get it to work reliably. So I took it out, and put in a very long cat-5 cable which I run to the stoker when I need it. It is a bit inconvenient but it always works and requires far less configuration than wireless would.

Chuck, I received my Stoker not long ago and was totally clueless. To make it more complicated for myself I purchased it with 3 blowers and three pit probes. With the help of many on this board I was able to get it hooked up hardwired to my laptop. I purhased a 50ft cat5 cable and a cheap hub to connect it all to. I am definately what you would call a challenged person with this stuff but it all works. I even was able to use Amir's fantastic Stokerlog to track two of the fan/probe cooks at the same time. I could easily see and control all three cookers.

My biggest recommendation is to hook it up and goof with it in the house before you even think about cooking with it. Once you get the hang of it the thing is pretty simple to use and then you can cook away. It is amazing how well it and stokerlog works. My next step will be hooking it up thru an old wireless router I have but I am in no hurry. The hardwired method works fine. Good luck and have fun.

Amir,

I have a 2 Wire Gateway router. The back has 4 female Local Ethernet slots, one of which is being used. It also has a Broadband connecton in a seperate slot.

Do I understand correctly that you recommend that I plug the Stoker into my router for all of my cooking, not just to configure the software?

If this is the case, do I understand correctly that I could open a web browser window as well as a StokerLog window at the same time?

Later, when I have things figured out, can I use a bridge to go wireless so I don’t have a cable running through an open door all night? If this is the case, are you saying I can have the internet OR StokerLog open, but not both at the same time, but I can toggle back and forth between them?

In the kitchen, just inside the door from the WSM is a jack plate that has a phone jack, a male coax fitting and a blank. Behind the plate is a stubbed blue cable, which I assume is an unused cat5 cable, the other end which terminates in the communications panel up stairs where the router is. I will try to connect this jack to the router so I don’t have to string 100’ of cable all through the house.

Rick,

Thanks for the encouragement. Your suggestion sounds like an excellent idea. I may drive down to Rock’s BBQ and see if I can buy a Stoker off the shelf from him. I’ll be down that way this week.

Thanks all.

Chuck

Chuck,

If I may add my 2 cents here... I use Mozilla Firefox which has tabbed browsing (I think IE has tabs now) and it is no problem to surf this website in one tab and the Stoker up on another tab within the one browser session while also sending mail using Outlook and running StokerLog. You don't need the internet to use the Stoker (wired or wireless) or StokerLog but you can certainly use the internet while using StokerLog and the Stoker web page.

I agree with Amir and Rick to temporarily hook it up in the house directly (wired) to your router to get things working and play around with it before trying to go wireless with a bridge. The bridge setup requires a little more configuring than the wired setup in general. You can certainly cook using either means of connection. StokerLog doesn't care whether it is wired or wireless as long as the computer can read the Stoker data (meaning, you can see the Stoker on your browser.)

Try to spend some time with John at Rock's. Stoker is his baby and he could be a big help in explaining it and answering your questions (of course, you can find lots of answers on this forum also!) You will love it once you get it setup. I love my Stoker along with StokerLog and StokerTimers. Using it wirelessly allows me to use either my laptop or my office desktop computer to monitor the cook. Great stuff!

Originally posted by Chuck R:
Amir,

I have a 2 Wire Gateway router. The back has 4 female Local Ethernet slots, one of which is being used. It also has a Broadband connecton in a seperate slot.

Do I understand correctly that you recommend that I plug the Stoker into my router for all of my cooking, not just to configure the software?
Correct. you have everything you need to get it both setup and use it. Just plug the cable into the unused jack and the other end into stoker, turn stoker on and you are good to go. Then go down the menu on stoker where it says the IP address. Type that into browser with http:// in front of it and you will be talking to the box. Once you configure the stoker there to tell it which probe controls the fire, the you can use my program without the need to use the browser.

If this is the case, do I understand correctly that I could open a web browser window as well as a StokerLog window at the same time?
Sure. There is no conflict. You can even have the browser talk to stoker and stokerlog at the same time although there is no reason to do that in your situation.

Later, when I have things figured out, can I use a bridge to go wireless so I don’t have a cable running through an open door all night?
Correct.

If this is the case, are you saying I can have the internet OR StokerLog open, but not both at the same time, but I can toggle back and forth between them?
No I am not saying that. You can use everything at once. There is no limitation.

The only time there is a limiation is if you connected the stoker directly to the laptop which we don't recommend you do.

In the kitchen, just inside the door from the WSM is a jack plate that has a phone jack, a male coax fitting and a blank. Behind the plate is a stubbed blue cable, which I assume is an unused cat5 cable, the other end which terminates in the communications panel up stairs where the router is. I will try to connect this jack to the router so I don’t have to string 100’ of cable all through the house.
If that is a proper cat-5 cable, then it should work.

Cat-5 cable is also know as twisted pair. A few houses were wired for that so you may indeed have it. Cat-3 also looks pretty much the same however but doesn't perform as well(distance/speed.) In either case, there should be 4 pairs of wires, (8 total) only 4 of which are needed. Now for the bad news, you'll need 2 rj-45 jacks (data type) and probably a punch down tool to hook them up. Then you'll need 2 cables, one for the router and one for the Stoker ( they come in many different lengths.) I won't tell you that you shouldn't attemt this yourself, but I will say that it can be very frustrating getting it right if you don't know what you're doing. I've done thousands and still screw it up once in a while. That's why I own test equipment, to check myself. Your best bet is to "phone a friend" or hire geek squad to make you connections.

Amir,

OK, I THINK I am starting to understand things (not bad for an old lap dog). Hope I’m not bugging you too much, but when I get started, I know I’ll be calling on you again.

John,

The are four stubbed blue cables in the communications panel, looking just like the cable in the kitchen wall box. They have eight wires each. And, God love the installers, one is labeled “Kitchen”. Forty years ago I was a cable installer but I don’t think I’ll attempt this. My Son-in-law builds his own computers so I’ll get him to help me with this.

I’ll swing by Rocks today on the way to buy 120# of lump, and see if he is open.

Again, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Chuck

Wiring rj45 stuff isn't too bad ... you can do a jack without any tools, to do a plug end you would need a crimper though. So here's some info if you want to DIY:

I ran Cat5 and I put rj45 jacks throughout my house when it was built. The jacks came from Home Depot and are a Leviton modular type, they fit into a modular wall plate which attaches to a standard electrical box. They come with a little plastic punch down tool and a wiring diagram right on them. Note: it doesn't matter which wires you use in which position if you DIY both ends as long as you are consistent ... if DIY only the jack end you need to regard the wire positions from the factory end.

I would not leave the jack dangling on the end of a cat 5 wire but mount it inside a standard electrical box in a modular wall plate at the least.

Pic of the modular jack here (price is fora 10 pack)

Wall plate pic here

Pin layout on rj-45 connector:

rj45_patch.gif

There is another layout T568-A, see this page for full details. You aren't likely to need crossover wiring, just straight through.

FYI: Actually the wire sequence does make somewhat of a difference. 1&2 and 3&6 MUST run together as a pair. The colors don't matter but these must be paired, it's the way the technology is designed to work. It's a noise cancelling thing. And forget about making your own cable, a decent crimping tool is $40, more than the cost of 2 cables and no grief.

Today I picked up the Stoker, three bags of Lazzari Oak Lump and a bag each of apple and cherry chunks. Now I need to pick up a wall jack and male plug.

Shawn,

It looks like Radio Shack sells a single wall jack with its own tool to hook up the cable. I can’t see a male jack that has the same ease of connection.

Ken,

Whether I do it or have it done, according to The Bride, running 100’ of cable from the kitchen window, across the floor in the dining room, the family room, up the stairs, down the hall, into the master bedroom, into the master bathroom and into the closet, is not an option. I need to use the wall jack in the kitchen and connect that to the router. That way, I can run 10’ of cable through the kitchen window.. I have an e-mail into my Son-in-law to see if he has the tools and knowledges.

If I run the wires as coded in the schematic on both ends, it should work?

Thanks,

Chuck

It should work, and I agree, I would not want to run wires through your house. It's unattractive and probably dangerous. The wall connectors are color coded so if you follow them, you can't go wrong. Remember however that there are 2 distinct type of RJ-45 box jacks that are identical except for the color code. One is for phone, the other for data. The data color code will follow the code listed on the the other thread. BTW, the wires do not need stripping. When they are punched down, the insulation is cut and they make contact. (i've seen people try to do this)

The cables are actually harder to work with. As many as I've done, 1 in 10 has to be re-done. So once you have the wall connectors correct, (you can check them with your laptop) just get the correct length of pre-made cat-5 cables and you should be good to go.

Ken,

My son-in-law has the crimpers and the knowledges so I invited him and my daughter over for an BBQ and beer. Hopefully they can make it.

Great, he should have you up and going in no time. IMHO, stick with the cable, the wireless converts work, just not 100% of the time. I had a Dlink for a year, it seems to work ok until it stopped working completly, then I ran the cable and my headaches went away.

Ken,

The cable will probably be the way I will go with it. The WSM will be right outside the kitchen window where the cable would enter the house. Now, I don’t mind the smell of wood smoke because that seems to be the new cologne that I wear now, but The Bride prefers not to have a smoky house, so I’ll have to see which way the wind blows (literally and figuratively).

Again, thank you for all of your guidance. I am feeling more comfortable with this now.

Chuck, I'm a little late to the party but I think by now you've realized there are plenty of people on this board who are more than willing to help you get this baby setup.

Congrats on your new toy . . . I mean ATC Device.

Back