Ribs and more Ribs

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
We decided to try some boneless beef chuck ribs and some boneless country style pork ribs today. The beef ribs were rubbed with smoked olive oil and coated with Big Bad Beef Rub (from Meathead's Amazing Ribs site). The pork ribs were rubbed with smoked olive oil and coated with McCormicks Sweet and Smokey rub.

DSC00417_r-2.jpg

Beef Ribs on to the smoker with a mixture of Oak and Hickory. I sprayed them hourly with Cherry Dr Pepper. They were smoked at about 235 and were done in 2 1/2 hours.

DSC00420_r-2.jpg

Pork Ribs went on the ribolator at the same time using a mixture of Tobasco flavored chips and a mixture of fruitwood that I got from the Art of BBQ in St Augustine, Florida. They were sprayed each hour with apple juice. I was able to maintain temperatures between 250 - 275 for the entire cook, which also took 2 1/2 hours. I followed the advice on this board about using my charcoal fuel holders and only using about 20 unlit in each to start. I put 4 lit in each and this was more then enough fuel to finish the cook and also help burn the grease and gunk off the ribolator. I also taped off 2 of my top vents and this really helped with the temperature control.

DSC00424_r-2.jpg

Had to have some jalepenos with dinner. Again we went a bit different then the normal bacon wrapped. We mixed some cream cheese with chopped green onion and added about 1/2 teaspoon of Penzeys Northwoods Fire seasoning. Filled the jalepenos with this mixture and then used slices of Chipolte gouda and Horseradish cheddar on top of the cheese. We topped that off with some left over Bratwurst (4 cheese) that we had last night.(With all this cheese, you'd think I was from Wisconsin)
icon_biggrin.gif
(Which would also be a good thing, since the "Master" lives there.)
icon_wink.gif

DSC00428_r-2.jpg

Peppers are done.

DSC00444_r-2.jpg

Plated with a pasta salad that my wife made.

DSC00436_r-2.jpg

Close up of my plate, I was hungry.
icon_razz.gif

Overall this was a very tasty meal. I was surprised that the beef ribs were not too dry, considering how thin they were. I do believe that in the future I will just buy a chuck roast and cut them to the thickness I want.

Thanks for looking and putting up with my long winded story.

w0w Mike!
Great Cookin'!
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">..</span>Great Colour!!
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">....</span>and Great Food!!!

You're Welcome to the Badger State any day!!
Outstanding Post!

Great looking food Mike! Dont wanna take the focus from the protein...But that pasta salad looks TASY!!

You can never have to many ribs! very nice pictures and your plating is wonderful. I love the idea with using bratwurst in the ABT! Keep up the good work

Back