Question about getting a replacement handle

J

Joey

I want to get a couple of replacement handles for my WSM so I can attach them to the side of my smoker. This is so I can lift the dome and cooking section of the smoker easily (or as easy as possible).

However, I went to the Weber site to buy the handles but they only sell the plastic part and not the metal strap that the plastic handle clamps onto. Does anyone know where you can get the Weber plastic handle along with the metal strap?

Thanks,
Joey

you can't buy the strap since it's welded on. I did see someone else here fabricate their own and use the plastic handles with them. Shouldn't be hard to find a metal strap the right width and bend it with a vice or something, you can paint it with black BBQ paint to help it blend in.

Joey & Matt, I was the one that fabricated metal straps for the Weber plastic handles. I obtained steel flat from a local hardware store. It was 1/2-inch wide by 1/8-inch thick. At my local hardware store (Orchard Supply Hardware - OSH) it comes in 2 and 4 foot lengths. I removed the top WSM plastic handle and used the welded holder as a pattern. I used a bench vise, ball peen hammer, hack saw and electric drill to make the handle holder. I used the existing WSM grill bolts as mounts for the handles. The original handle strap holder is a little thinner than 1/8-inch, so you have to do a little filing inside the plastic handle to make a good fit.

Rusty

Thanks to both of you for the information. I would like to have the handles look like they belong on the WSM rather than using a garage door handle but I don't know how much effort I want to put into this.

Thanks again for your help!

-- Joey

Be careful!
I added handles identical to the dimensions for the strap material used for the lid. Now my cover won't fit. I'm planning on modifying the handles so they fold down when not in use.

MikeZ

Yes, when you add Weber type side handles, the vinyl cover that comes with the WSM will no longer fit. I had a cover that was on my old vertical square Brinkmann smoker. The cover from the Brinkmann vertical fits my WSM.

Rusty

Here's another thread where a member mounted some fabricated handles as well as a couple other mods. The initial pics were through ePhotoHut and expired with the site but there are some replacement pics further down in the thread.

Bill

Looks like I may go that route after all. Not having to fabricate something and not having the handle interfere with the cover is a double bonus. Plus, I 'm lazy so the less work the better. :)

--Joey

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joey:
Looks like I may go that route after all. Not having to fabricate something and not having the handle interfere with the cover is a double bonus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used 4 utility handles from Menards on each of mine. They look fine, don't get hot, and the cover still fits. Make sure you don't lose the fiber washers when you add the handles.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Plus, I 'm lazy so the less work the better. :)--Joey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which would be why you bought a WSM in the first place, right? It sure is a lot less work than tending to an off-set.

Ace Hardware, standard garage door pulls, $5. Holes line up exactly w/ the WSM holes, and the cover fits over them.

I put 4 Genie garage door lift handles on my WSM when I did my side table mod. Mine fits rather snugly at the elastic bands at the bottom of the cover but it's really no problem getting it on, and it certainly won't blow off!
I have handle straps I took off rustbucket kettles that I wanted to do the same as you, make it look like they were made for it, but they stick out farther, and I did't want to drill into the center to make them fit like I wanted.

Back