Pumpkin seeds

I was looking for something to smoke this weekend and it hit me as I was scooping out 2 pumpkins for the little ones. I put the seeds in a tin foil cake pan that I had poked a bunch of holes in. Salted the heck out them and cooked for about 2 hours at 300 degrees. I also used handful of apple chips in a tin foil pack. Came out pretty good, in my opinion. Always looking for something new to smoke.

I always fry 'em in oil. 1/4" of oil in a fry pan on the stove. When the oil's hot (not hot enough to burn or smoke, of course), drop the seeds in. It's fun because the seeds putt around in circles like little boats. Flip 'em, if you can, to get good color on both sides. Take 'em out and put on a paper towel covered plate and salt. Nice and crunchy.

I put them in a shallow cookie pan with salted water. Turn the oven up to about 400. When they start to bake flip them over. They should be done when they are coated with salt and the water has evaporated or they are toasted. Be careful of burning them

Smoke-roasted pumpkin seeds tonight after seeing Jay's comments. I used the following (all to taste):

Rinsed pumpkin seeds
Salt
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cayenne powder (tiny bit)
Ground cumin
Brown sugar

Stirred the seeds and spices together, then on the grill (indirectly) at 300° for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.

Apple wood for the smoke, and they turned out fantastic! Wonderful smokey crunch with some sweet and hot flavors.

Here's how they looked when they were finished:

SL371219sm.jpg

Hope your Halloween was great!

Barret

Back