New Grates and Flavorizer Bars - Help

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Greetings,

So we solved my burner issue by blowing out the manifold with compressed, now (burners were brand new), I need to order a new grate and flavorizer bars for my 12 - 13 year old Genesis 1000. I'm leaning towards the PCI grate but cannot locate any. I've tried three Home Depots, Homedepot.com, OSH, Lowes, Wal-Mart, ACE and Amazon.com. Any suggestions? If I cannot find PCI grates I'm leaning towards the Porcelain Enameled grates as I believe this is what the unit came with and they've now lasted 12 + years.

Amazon.com has Porcelain Enameled grates for $29.93 and standard Flavorizer Bars for $49.99.

Any suggestions or recommendations on where to locate PCI grates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Larry R. Fresno, CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000
22 1/2 Performer w/Touch-N-Go

I would ask HD to order the PCI grates. Otherwise, I suggest SS grates and flavorizer bars over the coated ones.

Paul

You've named about all the suppliers in my area, I guess Weber would be my next stop. I just replaced my bars and grates in my Genisis B last summer. I went SS for both replacements. The bars seem to make no difference, but I'm still out on whether I like the SS grates better than the original PCI's that came on my unit. I think food sticks a little less on the PCI's and they are easier to keep clean.

Duh! I cannot believe I didn't think to check with Weber. Man, talk about "not seeing the forest for the trees." Thanks for pointing out the obvious for me.

Regarding flavorizor bars, for me I really don't see any reason to go stainless as my current non-stainless bars have lasted me 12 + years and have provided excellent results. Does anyone have any thoughts otherwise?

Thanks for the input.

Larry R. Fresno, CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000

There is no reason to buy SS flavorizer bars rather than coated steel other than longevity. Your coated bars have far exceeded the warranty, so maybe you'll be lucky with the next set.

Paul

Paul, thanks for the information, and based on the how the original flavorizers preformed/lasted I see no reason to go SS. However, is there a reason to purchase the SS grate? From what I'm reading the order of quality/usability is as follows - 1) PCI 2) SS 3) porcelain enamel. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Larry R. Fresno, CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000

I think the PCI or SS might be an individual preference thing. my preference is the PCI. There is a likelyhood over time that the coating might chip on the PCI, but I think with reasonable care- don't scrape and do use a brass brush - you'll get 4 to 6 years. SS will be the thin flat type, like the coated steel. They last a very long time and are pretty indestructible. They do not hold the heat like PCI - nothing does.

just my thoughts.

Paul

SCORE!!!! I was in Home Depot looking to purchase some charcoal and just happened to look at the Weber replacement parts and SCORE, there was a set of 9888 PCI grates for my Genesis 1000!! Sweet! $54.95 later my Genesis 1000 has new grates for the first time in 12 - 13 years. Thanks to everyone for their input on my search and refurbishing of my Genesis.

Back