Weber Q LP bottles

Bill Freiberger

TVWBB All-Star
Does anyone know why the Weber Q only uses the long, thin LP gas canisters and not the more common shorter, fatter canisters that can be used on most other camping equipment?

Bill

Mu guess is that the design of the Q, as it now exists, wouldn't allow for a larger diameter cyclinder to be supported, by the cylinder holder.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
My guess is that the design of the Q, as it now exists, wouldn't allow for a larger diameter cyclinder to be supported, by the cylinder holder.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that the thicker bottles won't fit in the little wire support ring. My question is why. Those fatter bottles are readily available (costco and Sam's Club carry them very cheaply). They're used with most camping equipment. The wire ring could have been made large enough to accomodate both bottle types. So why did they make the decision not to do it that way? There must be some other reason. Anyone have any thoughts?

Bill

I use the larger (more common & cheaper bottles), just unscrew one of the wire ring hooks and the bottle will slip right in.

I agree Paul. If someone made retrofit I'd buy one up in a snap.

I haven't tried unscrewing one of the screws on the ring but it would probably work that way although with less support. I've read of others who had to bend the gas attachment in order to get enough clearance for the larger diameter tank.

no bending of the gas attachment needed on my Weber Q, the attachment just rotates. The ring still helps support the cannister. The bottom edge of the can may rest on the table, I don't remember.

Anyway, it was super easy to remove one screw and I never have any trouble attaching or removing a cannister.

Easy enough too to return it to original configuration.

I use my Q120 alot for personal cooking and teacking. The Weber adaptor hose to a small refillable tank is not only cheaper it keeps cooking for a lot longer. I suspect that the fat green tanks being a Coleman standard is the problem. Coleman is the competition.

In Australia they come standard with a adaptor hose to connect to a 9 Kg (20 lb) or 4 Kg LPG cylinder.
A 9 kg cylinder generally lasts 36-40 hours depending upon the heat settings used.

regards

I have the Q220 and am very pleased with it. I also have an adapter for the 20 lb tank. At home the adapter is greater and certainly more economical than the disposable cylinder (which, btw, can be refilled), but for transporting, the cylinder is much easier. I wish Weber had designed it for the 1 lb Coleman bottle.

Paul

Back