Smoked wings

Jim J.M.

TVWBB Member
Hello,
I got the 18' webber for christmas and tried some ribs, they didn't turn out so well. I'm going back to the basic's, I would like to smoke some chicken wings but cant seem to find the right directions. Can anyone please help.Thanks

I do my wings indirect on my kettle(after a fast sear)

Like This.

Never done em on the WSM. If im doing chicken low and slow(275f for chicken) i use a whole bird.

Jim, I think you might be better off using your WSM with one of the more traditional "success" smokes to start with -- either a meatloaf (inexpensive, easy and delicious) or a Boston butt for pulled pork (actually part of the pork shoulder). These almost always work and you likely won't have the "aw s---" feeling of not getting great results. Wings are cheap, yes, but they are not the easiest thing to get right on the WSM (too small and too delicate a flavor with the chicken).

Look here on TVWB for good recipes and techniques: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html . For your ribs, use the 3-2-1 technique (at least to start). For wings, cook them for about an hour, but I prefer to finish them on a hot grill as the skin won't crisp at low temps.

Let us know how it goes.

Rich

Well Rich I took your advice and did the meatloaf. I have to say it turned out very well, it was a tad dry (took if off at 165,think it should have come off at 160) the sauce was very good. The temp control was a little easier stayed right around 325 for most of the cook. It had to be good because the wife and daughter who hate meatloaf both ate a big plate of it. Thanks for the advice!!! now the big question is: Whats next?!?!?
icon_smile.gif

Like Wolgast, I usually do wings on the kettle, but I usually do them indirect the whole time as hot as she'll go for about 30-45 minutes and don't sear them. I don't see any reason not to try them on the WSM if you want. Just get her really hot, cracking the lid or propping the door if you have to. Careful with the smoke. It can easily overpower chicken, especially wings since there is so much surface area relative to meat. I'd use only 1 small chunk if not 1/2 a chunk.

As to "what's next", can't go wrong with a butt. Easy peasy and IMO easily the best thing that ever comes off my WSM.

Good luck.

I like to do wings on a wsm without a water pan. plenty of heat but not enough to burn them, and no chance for flare ups getting to them.

Originally posted by Jim J.M.:
Well Rich I took your advice and did the meatloaf. I have to say it turned out very well, it was a tad dry (took if off at 165,think it should have come off at 160) the sauce was very good. The temp control was a little easier stayed right around 325 for most of the cook. It had to be good because the wife and daughter who hate meatloaf both ate a big plate of it. Thanks for the advice!!! now the big question is: Whats next?!?!?
icon_smile.gif

I'm glad the meatloaf worked, Jim. For myself, I wouldn't let it go higher than 155. The last one it did, I removed at 150 and it was still well done. One thing I found, is that meatloaf doesn't suffer if you put the chopped veggies in a blender before mixing in.

Did you do the meatloaf in a pan, or out? I smoke mine without the pan -- great smoke flavor.

Wings are something I do on the WSM also (as well as the grill or even both -- still trying to find my perfect wing...). Don always has good advice, if you don't want to use a grill to finish, get the WSM temp up high -- leave the water out.

And don't forget about those ribs -- 3-2-1.

Rich

I smoked it out of the pan and used just a bit of Cherry for the wood. The smoke flavor was just right!! Thanks again for the help!

Originally posted by Jim J.M.:
I smoked it out of the pan and used just a bit of Cherry for the wood. The smoke flavor was just right!! Thanks again for the help!

Happy to assist, Jim. My wife (who secretly adores my grilling/smoking habit -- as long as I don't over-spice her
icon_mad.gif
) had a good suggestion for me this evening (after her meal of warmed-up smoked meatloaf
icon_smile.gif
). I've been using a large loaf pan that handles my two pounds of meat plus added veggies just perfectly (I drop the meat out and smoke w/o the pan). Sheila suggested that I use two smaller pans, that way there would be more smoke flavor (THAT caught me off guard! Sheila, more smoke?) and it would be easy to put one in the freezer right away. That's a great idea that I'll certainly implement. A little extra monitoring to be sure it cooks right at first. And it would make for great gifts!

Rich

Edit: BTW, I've been using oak -- very good with beef.

Back