Flakey Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattD

Hi all,
After using my smoker for about a year now I notice that the bottom of the water pan the enamel paint is blistering and flakeing off in very fine particles. Is this normal? Should I use a wire brush to get the flakeing paint off? I have never used the water pan without water in it, and if I rub my hand on the bottom the flakes just come right off in my hand. Right now I just use the bottom rack with a piece of foil on it to distribute the heat. Please advise as to the best course of action. Thanks, mattD
confused.gif

Hi Matt:

We get a lot of Weber customers who contact us with the complaint that their inside lid paint is peeling. Being that the porcelain enamel is fired on at about 1500 degrees, this isn't very likely. What they're seeing is carbonized grease that has built-up to the point that it starts to peel away. Your waterpan has a similair problem. After a while, the debris that falls into your waterpan just needs to be removed. Here's how to clean both lids and waterpans:

Starting with a cool grill, scrape away any loose carbon build up using a plastic scraper or dull putty knife. Wash the inside of the lid or waterpan using a soft cloth and hot soapy water. To remove stubborn build up, scrub gently with a wet soapy steel wool cleaning pad such as SOS. Do not use lemon-based cleaners. Rinse thoroughly. To prevent grease buildup and rapid reappearance of the flaking, wipe the grill lid or waterpan with a paper towel when the grill is cooling down after cooking.

I hope this helps you out.

Good grillin',

Weber Dave

I agree with Dave, that's a build up from
use over the year. I've had it come off in large pieces after heavy use over the competion season, doesn't do much for presentation. The good news is that you must be using the unit often so your eating well.
Jim

[from thread in "modifications"]

I was able to clean my WSM to like-new by putting the WHOLE THING(not all-at-once)in my dishwasher!
it came out 100% clean.

Thank guys I'll try that cleaning method next week, I hope it will keep the flakes off the food and stop the buil-up on my pan.
Mahalo! mattD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back