Luscious Leg of Lamb

Dann B

TVWBB Super Fan
This is actually from Bill and Cheryl Jamison's Smoke & Spice, just to give credit where credit is due. We've made it alongside our Easter ham for 3 years running, and it's always a big hit!

you need a 5-6 pound boned leg of lamb to start. You can have your butcher do the job, or do it yourself, depending on how confident you are in your knife skills.

The night before you plan to cook it, make a paste in either a mortar and pestle, or food processor. Paste is made with 10 cloves of garlic, 2 tsp. kosher or sea salt, and 1 1/2 Tbsp. good olive oil. Rub the paste lightly all over the lamb, thetn put it in a plastic bag and let it marinate overnight.

The next day, when ready to cook, start your WSM, prepping to a temp of between 200-250.
Remove the meat from the refrigerator, and let sit about 30 minutes. This should be long enough to make the stuffing.

The stuffing is made by lightly sauteing 1/2 medium (or 1 small) onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic in about 1 1/2 tbsp good olive oil. Once the onions and garlic are soft, add 1/3 cups pine nuts (or chopped walnuts) and continue to cook another minute or so. Then spoon into a bowl.

Now add 1 1/2 pounds cooked, drained, and chopped spinach (I substitute 2 1 lb. boxes frozen chopped spinach, sqeezed of excess moisture). to that, add 8 oz. mild goat cheese (or Feta),1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley, 1/4 cup dried chopped currants or raisins (optional) and 1 tsp anchovy paste (optional, but highly recommended.

Spread the mixture evenly over the inside of your butterflied leg of lamb, then carefully roll from one of the long sides and tie the roast securely, diong your best to assure all the suffing is inside.

There is an optional mop to this recipe, but I've left it off as I find it isn't nescessary.

Now, in a large skillet, sear the lamb quickly on all sides, then pop it into your smoker. Cook 35 to 40 minutes per pound until internal temp is about 140-145 for rare/med rare, 145-155 for medium.

Remove and rest 15 to 30 minutes in foil.
Remove string, slice, and enjoy!

Just enough to get some nice browning on the outside, although I've skipped this step altogether, and it still comes out well.

I made this on Saturday.

I had a boned leg that weighed in around 3.5 lbs.

Don't know how much of it was the leg, and how much me, but I did a rotten job of butterflying it, to the point that the stuffing was plopped down in the middle, then the sides kind of pulled and tied up around it.

At any rate, it was very tasty - the stuffing (I used chopped walnuts and feta) is really good.

I'll likely try this again - maybe I'll get a real butcher to butterfly the leg the next time.

Thanks for the recipe!

Made this for Easter dinner with feta cheese and without the sear. In previous attempts cooking lamb on the WSM the smoke seemed out of balance so this was cooked over lump with no smoke wood. That proved to be a good choice, resulting in a dish I wouldn't mind serving to guests who are not barbecue fans.

I'll be making this again.

I just started doing leg of lamb a couple weeks ago. The first one came out so well, I did 2 more yesterday. Just using an olive oil and lemon juice marinade with course ground pepper, minced garlic, salt and rosemary. Set the WSM up for indirect grilling (I seem to be doing this a lot lately) and seared both legs, then moved to low heat and slow roasted at around 300-325* for about 2-2.5 hrs. Internal temp on both was around 135-140*. Rested them for 30 mins. I'm glad I made 2 because there wasn't alot left over for my lunch at work tomorrow!
icon_smile.gif

Back